Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I had a few things i need some guidance on. Well first, i got to NAS Pensacola on Feb 11. I have picked up some gear 7' Penn rod and reel combo. I feel like it will do the job. I'm from CT so its hard to get to my own gear but for now this should do. What fish can be caught from the seawall and chalies pier? Seeing as though it is technically winter what species are around and what are the best methods of catching them? Mind you i have limited access to bait shops since i am not allowed to leave base quite yet. For now i bought some killer bee brand Dead shrimp and finger mullet. Would these work as good natrual baits and what rigs would be best? I also purchased berkley jig heads in white and red. also picked up berkley jerk shad for the jig heads and berkley swimming mullet. Overall i think it is evident i need help on all levels so any advice and pointers would be much appreciated!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I am from Ct also. 50 years in Southington and 12 years in Old Saybrook. Been in Empire, La. since late 2003. Fish mostly out of Venice. Wish I could give you some info on that area. Have been on CTF for many years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would get a sabiki rig and catch some bait off the sea walls. Then re-hook your catch and see what will bit it. Or cast out a grub and youll probably be able to catch some of everything

·
Registered
422 Posts
its been really slow around base lately but if you get a cast net there will be LYs along the seawall in a couple weeks. until then id catch pinfish with small bits of shrimp or mullet.they are all along the pier in the afternoons. also there are usually sand fleas right in the surf next to the wall, if youre willing to get wet. In a month or so start throwing gotchas on a thin steel leader. the spanish should be think in there hopefully by mid march

1 - 8 of 8 Posts