Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: In general, what is the percentage markup on fishing lures in your local (J&M, Top Gun, etc) store?

I read 40 to 50 percent is a standard.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Question: In general, what is the percentage markup on fishing lures in your local (J&M, Top Gun, etc) store?

I read 40 to 50 percent is a standard.
What does it matter, I can tell you from experience it takes a ton of money to run a store front. There is huge overhead you do not see. I can also tell you the markup is nowhere near that high on most items. I can also tell you those buildings that house those stores aren't free either. Renting or owning a commercial building isn't cheap. Now if you think you could do a better job for less, have at it. been there and done that and even have the T-shirt to show for it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey lobsterman you misread the intent

I'm looking to price some lures for retail sell IN THOSE LITTLE STORES not trying to compete. In fact I shop in them all.

I know what my cost basis is, just trying to see what feasible pricing would be at the storefront level.

Any real help appreciated.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Most tackle is 35 % and the smaller stuff is more. Some of the major brands are less, it all depends on the product.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that helps!

We make deep drop jigs and other gear to help pay for our fishing trips.
Oil spill shut us down so we are trying to crank back up.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a few of our early models, much better ones to come

i'd be interested to see a few pictures of what you guys make!
We make 4, 5 and 8 oz
the 4s are snapper candy, while the 8s are used for tuna and aj mostly.

We did a custom run for Blackfyn Customs out of Fairhope right before the oil spill.
They were a spill casualty.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
What does it matter, I can tell you from experience it takes a ton of money to run a store front. There is huge overhead you do not see. I can also tell you the markup is nowhere near that high on most items. I can also tell you those buildings that house those stores aren't free either. Renting or owning a commercial building isn't cheap. Now if you think you could do a better job for less, have at it. been there and done that and even have the T-shirt to show for it.
Just wondering what was the point in this rant? He asked a simple question and you come with this shit???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts