Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. I’m not sure how this will be taken but I figured I would ask.

I went fishing with my wife and son yesterday on public numbers. Overall a great day. We anchored and my wife and son started bottom fishing while I started chumming. We caught grey snappers, red snappers, AJs, and saw some really nice Cobia that we hoped to catch. Approx 15 minutes into our fishing, a boat drove up, dropped the trolling motor and started to free-dive and spear fish. I thought they could have gone to the next spot but wasn’t too upset. Mainly bc it was a father with 3 of his boys. I watch and hoped my boys will be into fishing/boating like his appeared to be!

I had been working a chum slick for about 2 hours. We had some really nice snappers, AJs, and cobia in our slick. Then, another boat came about 20 yards behind us (prob less) and started fishing. Within 20 minutes, they caught many fish, to include the 2 cobia.

Now, I realize I don’t own the ocean. I was shocked they literally drove up directly behind me and started fishing. I could have asked them to move bc it was clear I was chumming. I wasn’t even anchored directly on the reef! I could have cursed at them snd made a scene. I didn’t. Mainly bc it wasn’t worth it and I was fishing with my wife and son. I simply asked them how big the cobia was (80 inches!!!!), told them to stay safe and we headed in.

All that being said, am I justified to be frustrated? I’ve certainly fished wrecks with other boats but I like to think I respect their space and fishing experience!

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Yes but your beating a dead horse. Between people not knowing what their doing and the rest not caring what their doing because they have no respect, you did the right thing.

Dont let it ruin your trip, just move somewhere else.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I try to keep a top water live bait when I am chumming and even when I am not. The boat that came up your six would have either seen your line or gotten into it. Either way they might not have been so close to you and your top water line would have been in your own slick.
What I wouldnt give to get a cobia that size. WOW.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,371 Posts
Dude, all I can say is no matter WHAT happens stay calm keep a cool head above all other things. I just started bottom fishing here on local spots when I got my first boat in 2017, yes it was a learning curve indeed. When it comes to public reefs there is every sort of person that is going to be out there fishing/diving with you, I have had local charter boats pull up close to me, which never bothers me but it bugs some. I just try and be as friendly as I can be and if I get a bad vibe or the person seems irritated that I just arrived then I just move on. The fish really don't care how many boats are on the surface and it has never effected my fishing. There is a ton of local spots, trust me all I fish is State waters on public reefs, I don't catch the biggest fish but I catch a lot of dinners for me and my better half.

Above all else have fun dude, don't sweat the small stuff. Be as friendly as you can it always pays off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That can't be right a 6 1/2 ft cobia? i think the record one caught out of destin 120+ was only 70 inches
I thought that’s what he said. To be honest, I hadn’t processed how big that actually is until you said something.

Maybe a fish story! Lol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I try to keep a top water live bait when I am chumming and even when I am not. The boat that came up your six would have either seen your line or gotten into it. Either way they might not have been so close to you and your top water line would have been in your own slick.
What I wouldnt give to get a cobia that size. WOW.
Good idea. I’ll do that next time. On a balloon!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes but your beating a dead horse. Between people not knowing what their doing and the rest not caring what their doing because they have no respect, you did the right thing.

Dont let it ruin your trip, just move somewhere else.
That’s what I figured and that’s what we did!! Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Same thing happens to me on reefs that I buy! Even if it’s mine I have no control.Sold my boat

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Same thing happens to me on reefs that I buy! Even if it’s mine I have no control.Sold my boat
Buying reefs seems like a waste of money anymore these days. Today's sonar and radar technology means your 'private' numbers won't remain so for any length of time, since there is actually no such thing. If you pay for a reef to be deployed, then you paid for a fairly short period of time between when you do it and when a lot of people will find it; and if you pay for the numbers to a reef someone else put down, it's a likely bet you aren't the only one who 'bought' that knowledge. When something is dropped in the Gulf, there is no such thing as 'mine.'

If you don't enjoy fishing or boating anymore, definitely sell it and don't look back. But there are so many spots to fish and ways to do it ... I am still learning all this saltwater stuff, but I have come a long way in the last several years. I have moved spots many times due to people acting like douchebags or just not wanting to deal with people and their BS, but I see googans on the water sorta like dolphins (well they are different, they actually live there so really not their fault). They have a right to be there like I do, I can't control their behavior when it interferes with what I'm trying to do, and they motivate me to move spots a lot of times, but getting angry about it doesn't solve anything and I still enjoy boating and fishing so I keep doing it.

As to the original poster, I agree that's annoying and in my opinion it's rude, but you can't really do anything about it any more than you can about the local guide who likes to tie his boat up partially blocking the ramp at Mahogany Mills while he sits and waits for his clients to finish showing up.... just have to make do and be happy you can sleep at night knowing you make an effort not to be an asshat.

There are people who specifically pull in behind those with chum bags out for that very reason... I have seen that before as well, and you really have no recourse. I do like the idea of floating a top-water line out there in the slick, maybe even put a bait under a bright red balloon so it floats on the surface behind you in the current.... might not necessarily catch fish (or maybe it might!) but it's very obvious you have a line out there and they can get their trolling motor prop fouled, or they can give a little distance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Joey Welsh pretty much said it right. Hook a decent fish on a wreck you're sharing and at least one idiot will move in so close he could probably gaff it for you! If we're diving we just pass on any wreck someone else is on. I've had to re-submerge to keep from getting run over when resurfacing, and my son had an anchor hit within 6 feet of him on a dive when a boat just moved in and dropped anchor right next to us, all with the dive flag up. If it had been me I would have cut the anchor line. I once had a guy pull up to my boat (flying dive flag with a diver down) and ask me WHAT COUNTRY) I was from! Can't fix stupid, you just have to try to ignore it. Best bet is to practice what other posters have said: Try to stay calm and remember that you went out there to get your blood pressure down, not up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buying reefs seems like a waste of money anymore these days. Today's sonar and radar technology means your 'private' numbers won't remain so for any length of time, since there is actually no such thing. If you pay for a reef to be deployed, then you paid for a fairly short period of time between when you do it and when a lot of people will find it; and if you pay for the numbers to a reef someone else put down, it's a likely bet you aren't the only one who 'bought' that knowledge. When something is dropped in the Gulf, there is no such thing as 'mine.'

If you don't enjoy fishing or boating anymore, definitely sell it and don't look back. But there are so many spots to fish and ways to do it ... I am still learning all this saltwater stuff, but I have come a long way in the last several years. I have moved spots many times due to people acting like douchebags or just not wanting to deal with people and their BS, but I see googans on the water sorta like dolphins (well they are different, they actually live there so really not their fault). They have a right to be there like I do, I can't control their behavior when it interferes with what I'm trying to do, and they motivate me to move spots a lot of times, but getting angry about it doesn't solve anything and I still enjoy boating and fishing so I keep doing it.

As to the original poster, I agree that's annoying and in my opinion it's rude, but you can't really do anything about it any more than you can about the local guide who likes to tie his boat up partially blocking the ramp at Mahogany Mills while he sits and waits for his clients to finish showing up.... just have to make do and be happy you can sleep at night knowing you make an effort not to be an asshat.

There are people who specifically pull in behind those with chum bags out for that very reason... I have seen that before as well, and you really have no recourse. I do like the idea of floating a top-water line out there in the slick, maybe even put a bait under a bright red balloon so it floats on the surface behind you in the current.... might not necessarily catch fish (or maybe it might!) but it's very obvious you have a line out there and they can get their trolling motor prop fouled, or they can give a little distance.
Yeah. I’m going to do to top water idea. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The further you get from the pass the fewer boats you'll see. I've given up fishing any artificial reefs inside of 10 miles unless it's a reef ball or pyramid which can only support one boat. I just cringe driving past the liberty ships with 6 boats parked on them with another 6 trolling around the edges. Burn some gas and you'll see the number of yahoos significantly decrease.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The further you get from the pass the fewer boats you'll see. I've given up fishing any artificial reefs inside of 10 miles unless it's a reef ball or pyramid which can only support one boat. I just cringe driving past the liberty ships with 6 boats parked on them with another 6 trolling around the edges. Burn some gas and you'll see the number of yahoos significantly decrease.
Yeah. I agree. I have a 23 CC with a single engine. I’m nervous to venture outside 20 miles. Maybe I should get a bigger boat with 2 engine!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts