Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can go anywhere I want. I was thinking gulf and warm water, but open to input and info from anyone with experience. Is Pacific side better for fishing for any particular reason?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've fished with http://www.fishingnosara.com/ a couple of times. It's on the Pacific Coast in Guanacaste. The little town where their lodging is located is Playa Guiones.

The first year we had a double marlin hookup that was wild. We got both to the boat. About 450 lb. apiece.

Attachments

·
eating tasty
3,731 Posts
I can go anywhere I want. I was thinking gulf and warm water, but open to input and info from anyone with experience. Is Pacific side better for fishing for any particular reason?

Trust me, you want to go to the Pacific side for so many reasons other than the great fishing. The pacific water is very warm there, as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow - that is quite encouraging. Always wanted a fish with a stick poking out of its head. Sure appreciate the quick replies.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I've fished out of Los Suenos with Capt. Mike Alligood http://www.epicfishingcostarica.com/

Mike and his crew are top notch and we had a great time. You can be as "hands on" as you'd like to be and Mike encourages it. Hope to fish with them again next winter/spring

Attachments

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Quepos on Pacific side a MUST ! The marina that is there now looks wonderful. It was not there when we went last time as we fished out of a single engine 28 foot but still got great viedo . One hint; charter a plane from Sanjose instead of the buss ride to quepos . Its worth the few extra $.
Glad I did it years ago and the fishing is still great from what others have shown me. You will not regret it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Dang makes me wanna take a trip!!!! Nice shots ya'll!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Costa Rica update

CR was awesome. Did not work out with the recommended charters unfortunately, but appreciate everyone's advice very much. I linked up with JP Fishing through queposcharterscostarica. Spent full day offshore in 34" ocean master running a 6-8 line spread, couple of teasers, and mostly just rigged ballyhoo (couple with skirts).

Caught 8 sailfish and my wife actually caught 2 herself. Amazing how often big sails would be jumping right in the prop wash just off the stern. Had an absolute blast. Wish I had another day to do some inshore and go for roosterfish, but went on some dives instead which were pretty nice as well.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and encouraging photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pacific sails are a blast. I fished with Bluefin Co. out of Quepos several times and one time had 12 sails and 2 large yellowfin tuna by myself on the trip. Had to yell "uncle" before the trip was due to end. Was tired puppy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone here fished in Costa Rica? Maybe have a charter recommendation or other tips? Thanks in advance -
You may have already gone. I went out of Quepos in Jan 2016 on the BIG EYE II https://www.shareafishingcharter.com/captain/BigEyeII with Capt Franklin. He has a partner that lives and fishes out of Orange beach. I have forgotten his name but thats who I actually talked to to set up the trip.
Have run a charter boat here for 18 years I had caught everything except a sail. So that was on the bucket list and the reason for the trip.

I booked and paid for a full day trip but told Franklin that as soon as I got my sail he could turn around and come home. It was about a 45 min run before we put the lines in the water. Within 15 min all four rods went off and we had four fish on.
My brother was with me so he got one rod and I got the other. We both landed our fish. I told Franklin to kick it up and lets go home. He refused and said he had a place about a mile away that he wanted to try for Mahi Mahi. I agreed to that. He changed baits and once again had a quad hook up. It was a Chinese fire drill but my brother and I both ended up getting our fish to go in separate directions and both ended up on the gaff and in the boat. We were back at the dock by noon. Franklin cleaned the fish and made arrangements for a restaurant to cook them up for us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts