Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had much luck fishing in Choctahatchee Bay until I started studying the bathometric maps of the North side of the Bay after fishing in Horseshoe Beach in a similar area. There are miles of grass flats that surprisingly have some pretty impressive terrain changes that I discovered on my Navionics mobile app. If you zoom in on the app you get a lot more detail that shows you where the lines are. Once I figured out what water depth the fish were in I was able to follow the terrain lines and pick up a couple of nice reds.

Attachments

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Just curious what part of the bay are you fishing in? Ft Walton, Destin, Niceville, Mid bay, San Destin? Just wondering!

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,914 Posts
Both screenshots are E of Alaqua Bayou. Tough for sure cause the water is so tannic. By the time you see bottom, it's too late and you might come to a sudden stop!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Both screenshots are E of Alaqua Bayou. Tough for sure cause the water is so tannic. By the time you see bottom, it's too late and you might come to a sudden stop!
I have never been to that end. I fish around Ft Walton, Destin area. I was just curious. I don't have navionics either.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,914 Posts
I have never been to that end. I fish around Ft Walton, Destin area. I was just curious. I don't have navionics either.
Ever fish Rocky Bayou? Water is similar to that.

Was surprised to hear about the grassbeds tho.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Ever fish Rocky Bayou? Water is similar to that.

Was surprised to hear about the grassbeds tho.

No not on that side at all. Just the Destin side, and Ft Walton and surrounding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,914 Posts
No not on that side at all. Just the Destin side, and Ft Walton and surrounding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We'll have to meet up one day and check out the area. But you have to help me scrub the water stains off the hull when we get the boat on the trailer. :D

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
We'll have to meet up one day and check out the area. But you have to help me scrub the water stains off the hull when we get the boat on the trailer. :D
Give me a holler sometime!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Navionics App

The Navionics iPhone app is under $10 and as long as you have cell phone coverage, which you do in the areas we are talking about, it tracks your boats location just as if you are using the chip on your plotter. I highly recommend it because it will help you keep from running aground and tearing up your lower unit.

·
Jonesy
7 Posts
Glad to see some posts from guys around the FWB and Destin area. I have a brand new boat and orders to Eglin in June, always on the look out for fishing buddies. Currently living in Hubert, NC and fishing skinny water for Reds, although we had a late freeze and killed off the Specs.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Glad to see some posts from guys around the FWB and Destin area. I have a brand new boat and orders to Eglin in June, always on the look out for fishing buddies. Currently living in Hubert, NC and fishing skinny water for Reds, although we had a late freeze and killed off the Specs.
Well I must tell you, you are moving to the right place. The flats off of Eglin are the best in the bay. The trout and red fishing are excellent there. I can show you where to launch, and where to fish.

·
Jonesy
7 Posts
Thats what I have heard, I am absolutely stoked. I am driving the wife nuts because all I talk about is the boat and fishing. My buddy told me about Emerald Coast Marina, expensive but well worth it from what he says. We are trying to live around Bluewater Bay area, close to work and close to the Marina.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
What size boat are you getting!

·
Jonesy
7 Posts
I just got a BX22BR, PP, jack plate, simrad through hull, MinnKota Riptide, 200 Yama, TTop and got the center console bait well with leaning post.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Nice, you can actually launch at Postal Point and be fishing in 10 minutes in prime waters.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Yes sir, you too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts