Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just returned to Texas from my visit to Pensacola last week. I went in hopes of catching some kings and what not but struck out and came home with my tail between my legs...

When fishing for kings in Florida you y'all troll lures? Free line live bait? Drift/troll ribbon fish? Do y'all fish around the reefs listed in the sticky or just pick a spot on the beach and paddle out into the wild blue?

Seems like I did all the above substituting ballyhoo for the ribbon fish to no avail. If I remember correctly my sonar was saying the surface temp was around 84*. With that I would think they would stay fairly deep?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated for another trip...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
A freelined hardtail will catch the bigger king..... Cigar minnows and alewifes/pilchards will catch the under 20 lbers.....

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,062 Posts
I use solid coffee 38lb wire leader, bimini twist to 80lb swivel, and 12ot circle, floating/free-lining a dead cig, live cig, live ruby or large dead/live pinfish over bottom structure on a in-coming tide. g/l next trip.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I troll a duster rig with a dead cigar minnow and on the other line just a large spoon around 3 barges if I want to catch one and it hasnt failed me yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips!! I'm already ready to head back that way and give it another go. Hopefully next trip the thunderstorms will hold off and let me have more time on the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts