Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure some of you know some local folks who have major disabilities, but still get out there fishing and enjoying all they can. There are others that maybe want to, but don't know where to start. Saturday, 24 April at West Marine, 3500 Barrancas, from 0900 - 1200 I will be demonstrating techniques and equipment to get "Physically Challenged" folks on board, special seating, wheelchair loading, etc.

If you know someone this could help, please tell them about this demo and invite them to attend, or you can come by and get some tips on helping others get out there catching soem fish.

Next month, 15 May is our "Take a Disabled Veteran Fishing" day. So far, we have 12 boats signed up and the Veterans Administration is sending us wounded warriors. If you cannot go, check the list of PFF'ers I will post and donate some gas, bait or food for their boat.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Veterans Administration has put me in touch with a local diasabled vet, Marty, who is paralysed from the chest down and who loves to fish. He is very enthusiastic about getting others who are disabled turned on to fishing. Marty will be helping me out Saturday morning at our demo.

If you know any disabled folks who need a pep talk or some "how to", come by West Marine on Barrancas this Saturday from 0900 - 1200

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has not rained in a month, so tomorrow is the day of the disabled fisherman program and we have a 70% chance of T - Storms all day.

WTF, I will not shrink and I am drip dry, so we will be there, the boat in the parking lot and us'uns in side. Drop by and bring a friend who may be physically impaired.

That davit has lifted a big block, so it handled my big ass okay. Glad I don't need it - - yet.

I will have sign up sheets for the May 15 "Take a Disabled Veteran Fishing."

We have 12 PFF'ers who have volunteered to take disabled vets out and only one vet, so far. The VA has said they will provide more. If you know any disabled vets, tell them about it.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saturday Morning, 0900 - 1200, May first in the West Marine parking lot -Rain or Shine.
Bring anyone interested, particularly someone who needs some activity, disabled or not.

A "bad attitude" can be a disability.

You know how good you feel when:
1- you have a firm date to go fishing
2- when you are out there on the water, catching or just fishin
3- after you come home and are remembering
4- eating what you caught
5- planning the next trip

We will discuss and demo methods of getting "Gimps" on and off boats. Marty, a veteran who is paralyzed from the chest down will be there telling how he does it.

This program is FREE. You don't have to even go inside the store.

Tom 572 1225

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
It sure is a great thing you guys are doing for the people that are handicapped. I know there have to be veterans and others that are misfortunate that either used to be avid fishermen or have always wondered how it would be to be out on the water and experience how peaceful it can be. It really helps me when times are tough and things in life are just looking like its a one way street that will never turn around.

If I were challenged physically to where I could'nt get around like others, it would probablly be the best thing for me to find a group of caring people like yourselves that are willing to help others still be able to go fishing.

Hats off to you and all who are doing this event! You are truly special!

God Bless!

Chris

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Tom,

Do you still have a barge located in chico? I'm trying to get a boom from a marine contractor I know, so we might have a shot at keeping oil out of the bayou if it gets bad. I might need a barge, not sure if I'm going to get help from one of the tugs or what at this point. Please shoot me a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts