Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fireguy
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to the Milton area and want to take my son fishing soon. What should we be fishing for in Blackwater around downtown Milton?

Freshwater or Saltwater fish? Bait to use? Etc..

I grew up fishing rivers and lakes, but the water there seems brackish, soooo

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Are you fishing from bank or boat? You're right about the brackish water, although up around Milton at the drawbridge it's more fresh than salt. You will sometimes get redfish and trout up there but more often bass or catfish I would guess. I don't fish that far up, really, so I don't know first hand. In the colder months you may see a striper or two here and there.

Everything eats live shrimp. Cut bait maybe? Paddle tails on jigs, jerkbaits, twitch and pause with flukes... depends if you're shore-fishing or boat-fishing as to your tactic.

If you're in a boat then the river as you get further down toward and past I-10 will yield trout and reds as well as some bass, but the largemouth fishing here is not at all like what I was used to back in North Carolina. Look for current breaks like points where wind or current flows past an ambush spot.

Blackwater can be great fun but it can also be quite enigmatic. Talk to locals, learn what you can from wherever you can.

Reactions: fire228

·
Fireguy
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would just be fishing from docks and the bank. Not looking to catch a ton, just more getting out of the house with the little one.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,073 Posts
worms or crickets for the bream and catfish, or chicken liver/gizzards cutbait/shrimp for the catfish, or cutbait for the redfish. The reds are usually under slot but some are within slot. Fish the outgoing tides, but any moving tide will work.
The reds like the tides about 1 hour before low tide is completely out, and the when the tide turns coming in there at and around the hwy90 blackwater bridge, and alongside the waters edge on the east side boat landing. The best times is catching the above tides in early mornings. Haven't seen many people catching reds in midday, probably bc of the higher temps?
Then you have Carpenters Park on Munson Hwy. Try the dock on the North side. Most people bait that hole for mullet, so take some sinking dog food and/or rabbit pellets to chum the water. If you're not well versed in mullet fishing with hook/line, check out youtube vids on it. g/l

·
Fireguy
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts