Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday some Members of a Local Kayak Club--Members of GDOMAG and even some members of this Forum departed Loxley Ala. for Black Water River in hopes of catching a Striper. Almost all of us we out of our "Comfort Zone" having never been to the Launch or fished the river. None of us caught a Striper but we had a good time..already talking about another trip.

·
Registered
289 Posts
01-17-15

Glad you guys had fun. I was out on BW yesterday afternoon in my kayak very close to where it appears you were. Landed my first large striper at dusk on a Mirromullet, will be putting a report of it in the kayak forum shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Basstracker;

I saw your flotilla that morning, I thought for sure a bass boat would blast under the train trestle w/o seeing you guys and capsize a few of you.

I would have liked to have met you, I've read your posts for a while now.
Blackwater is a tough place to fish, but we have some great quality fish when you can put it all together.

Hope to see you on the river.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BareF----------
If I were to go back to Black Water soon what do you think are my chances of hooking a Striper between the launch area and the train crossing--good---bad--noneatall?? Saturday we were fishing on a very low/bottom out tide---I would have liked to have had more water.--Thanks-----------------BT66

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
BT;

I'm not an expert on stripers, there are better striper fishermen on here than me.
BUT...there are a few proven areas where you're more likely to encounter them.
From the trestle, down to the oyster pile ramp, there are several deep holes w/ good current.

Up Pond Creek there are a lot of deep holes where they may be hiding feeding on the white trout that live there this time of yr.

For the really big ones your odds are much better if you're bottom bumping a 9" mullet or menhaden.

I've had better luck on BW w/ a falling tide Vs. incoming.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I haven't fished for Stripers in Florida, but I slayed them up in the Chesapeake. Try fishing columns of bridges- sit on the down current side, cast up past the column and then work your bait past the column like it was moving downstream with the current.

The stripers in the Chesapeake would sit behind those pilings, facing into the current, waiting for bait to come by so they could ambush it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The area around the train crossing can be pretty good. It is one of the regular spots I check for activity. Unless you know of a hole that they regularly hang out in, the train bridge is great,and you can sit there and fish for trout while you wait for stripers to push bait to the surface. Once you see the bait, cast to the roiling mess with a jerkbait and rip it!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts