Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Does anyone fish for grouper and AJs at night? Seem like it would be a good way to get out of the daytime heat

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Tried it once. Caught NOTHING. We pulled up on our reef and could plainly see it on the graph, but saw nothing stacked on it. Earlier that day it was covered in fish. We dropped anyway... Nothing. Never been back offshore at night since. Other than to shark fish.

I have heard that others have has success. None for us. haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
We've deep dropped at night just to try whenever heading out to the floaters..

All we caught was eels.. One deep drop rig had 3 eels on it.

The biggest being about 6ft long..

Man they really get your leader twisted and tangled.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Have done a lot of fall grouper fishing in the bay at night with great success.
This time of year its just about as hot at night as it is in the shade in the daytime.

·
BOB MARLIN
102 Posts
Fished offshore many times at night, from personal experience Ive never caught either at night but have watched the bite turn on like a switch at first light. Ive had better luck catching mingo and red snapper at night. I assume some species are more nocturnally active than others.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Ya'll must be doing something wrong.

I've caught many thousands of pounds of Grouper, Snapper and Amberjacks at night. Unfortunately I can't tell you where up there anymore. Back when I lived in Ft. Walton Bch. we didn't have LORAN or GPS so we'd get on a spot using shoreline ranges before dark and stay there over night.

We took a lot of big RS off the Russian Freighter in the middle of the night but that was in the early 60's. Night time is by far the best time to catch Mangrove Snapper.

About 3 years ago I fished off Carrabelle for a few hours one night. Five of us caught limits of Mangrove and Red Snapper. The captain said you couldn't buy a bite there in the day time. To catch the big Mangroves, we fished with half a cigar minnow with no weight at all and had to keep slack line all of the time. Kinda tricky fishing but it sure works.

When I fish for Snook at night down here I often catch Mangrove Snapper bigger than I ever catch in the day time. Bare legal Mangrove Snapper are hard to catch down here in daylight but I catch them up to 15" or so on big plugs intended for Snook and Tarpon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts