Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's wondering if most of you notice a difference fishing for trout , reds and flounder a day or two after it rains ?

To me it seems like it slows down a lot and makes the water dirty .

Any advice would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
pretty good observation. rain, particularly heavy, changes the salinity of the intracoastal and usually disturbs water clarity for some time after a rain. even bait fish routine is interrupted following fronts and rain storms. this isn't to say that fish can't be caught but generally speaking, the bite is affected

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Definitely slows it down. The salinity dips and clarity goes down so fish move and can't feed the same. Wish this crap would clear out and stay gone. I like to use bright colors and baits that produce some noise though to get some reaction strikes.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Definitely slows it down. The salinity dips and clarity goes down so fish move and can't feed the same. Wish this crap would clear out and stay gone. I like to use bright colors and baits that produce some noise though to get some reaction strikes.
Spot on post except for one point, not saying you're wrong, just saying I believe differently. Darker colors usually work best for darker water(excluding white). A double sparkle beetle rig on 1/16oz jigheads under a popping cork will kill the specs. Also a curly tail grub with a worm rattle or blade above it will work very well.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I don't disagree there should have been more descriptive. I use dark bodies with either a bright head or typically tail, preference being Texas Trout Killer Sabine Machine. Or black body top water with a chartrues head. My bad on that one.

I've never tried that double rig like that though. Might have to try that one out. You ever use a heavier jig head like an 1/8th or does that make it fall too fast?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
It tends to fall too fast with a heavier jighead, but I've had luck with those too. I just like the way a 1/16 falls on that rig, looks more like shrimp bouncing around. I like a red jighead with a rootbeer colored sparkle beetle.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I'm gonna try that next Speck trip I go on. I've single rigged below a cork and double rigged on the bottom but never thought to combine the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts