Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Long time reader and learner here. First post though.

I will be in Perdido Key from 9/4-9/6 and am bringing my kayak with me. Question is, I've never ocean fished in the rain. I've surf fished and done some good with the increase in waves for pomp and flounder, but need some advice in the near shore kayak world.

Any help in understanding if it'll be even worth my time, or if I should just stick to shore fishing.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the area as well. I took my kayak out to johnson beach canoe launch the other day and did alright. Caught a few reds and a few trout. I am planning on going on tomorrow morning to the sherman cove area and then maybe to johnson beach another day this weekend.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Striper09, it often rains inland but not at the beach, you may be fine. Fishing in the gulf is worth trying, its lots of fun and easier to do than many people think b/c you can stay pretty close in and find plenty of fish. Just point your bow straight into the waves and pass the second sand bar, then the waves wont be a problem. Troll a frozen cigar minnow or live bait, or drift it. You dont have to go very far out, lots of fish are caught just past the second bar, and a little further out the water usually changes from turquoisish to dark blue, zig zag around that color change. The typical rig is for kings using a 30-40 pound wire leader with front hook in the bait a stinger hook just dangling. The tackle shops can hook you up, plenty of examples on this forum if you use the search feature. You can catch kings and spanish mackerel with that, and the occasional mahi, bft, sail etc (though the guys targeting those species drop the wire and just accept getting cut off by kings). If you cant get any action and just want some fun, put on a gotcha, or anything really, and troll between the first and second bars until you find the lady fish. THey are like little tarpon, they jump and fight and are plenty of fun on a trout rod. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts