Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the late and long report, and I'm not sure where this should go but...

Was able to get down to fish w my Dad last week. On Monday the 12th, we were able to get out into the Gulf, caught a bunch of bait (mostly cigs) off a buoy outside the pass and headed to the area of Oops Barge. First drop and got my (keep in mind I'm a newb) PB red snappa. I truly didn't think it was a snapper, he was obviously pissed that I hooked him but we got him on the deck and it was nothing short of AWESOME! Trolling motor was on vacation and we only got the one keeper that day. It was just chop enough Dad wasn't happy so we decided to head in. Then he say's, "hey what's that?" I say, Bonita! Pre rigged rod for just such a beast, and I threw a chartreuse bucktail jig with a pink twister tail and bam! Got us bait for tomorrow.

Tomorrow came and went with the weather but fixed the alternator in his truck and had a great sub at American Hero's in Navarre. On Wed. the 14th, we tried to get into the Gulf but, was too rough for Dad. We went back inshore and watched the Blue Angles practice. I love that, n Dad did too. We went to my "honey hole" I marked in the bay in hopes of getting some more ARS but, four sharks later Dad say's dude, "all we got is sharks" (one was at least 4' and Dad whooped that thing like nobodies business), I dunno bout a honey hole": Fine ole man, onward we go.

Pulled up under the bridge of what I will call "despair", (IE; Skanska knock it down then put it back up). Got two nice reds, a stingray, oddly (at least for me) a keeper Snappa, and of all things, another small shark. All on the candy bait of Bonita.

P.S. Pulled up on the spot I have marked in the bay as "rock" and flipper the cut/messed up dorsal fin enormously friendly dolphin, grabbed my bait. I thought jaws was in town but shortly after he let go of my hook, he came up revealing him or herself or whatever the hell he identifies as, as the most polite, belly rolling, bait stealing, thief - I ever came across. I know its bad but I gave him a treat.

Sorry for the lack of better pics I had my hands full. Memories w Dad will never be forgotten and I cant wait for next month.
20210714_133949.jpg 20210714_153033.jpg 20210712_171129.jpg 20210712_144452.jpg
20210714_133949.jpg
20210714_153033.jpg
20210712_171129.jpg
20210712_144452.jpg

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Post of the day!

Reactions: Battman771

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Awesome that you had a good trip with your dad. Great post. I think the dolphin people call 'Half Tail' has a scarred up dorsal in addition to his missing tail fluke; if that was him, he's definitely a friendly performer and a bait stealer! Word of caution, if he gets your bait or your fish you can't really help that, but there is a hefty fine if someone feeds them on purpose.

Sounds like you had a great trip, keep at it and cherish those moments! Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the kinds words gents. I sometimes consider selling my boat but it's times like these that make me keep it!

P.S. SurfRridr - Thanks for the info on the fine, I did not know such law existed. As a matter of practice I obviously know not to feed the wildlife (with the exception of deer, Bo the chipmunk in my back yard and those stankin hogs at hunting camp) but truly just dropped a dead cigar over and he came up and grabbed it. (y):LOL:

Hope to be back in August and Good Lord willin will fish, or boat, or fix an alternator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts