Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than snapper, what ever fish can I catch right now? Need someone to point me in the right direction. We go out catch r endangered snapper in 30-45 minutes then go home. Lot of time and money spent for 1 hr of fishing.. where do i go to catch mingo and other fish? New to the offshore so i would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You'll need to be in over 150 feet of water to catch mingos, but more like 200+ for any consistency. Porgy (white snapper) are just about everywhere from 50ft out and always open. All the grouper will be open starting tomorrow when gags open. You can also troll for spanish and king macks anywhere from the beach to 150ft-ish.

·
Super Moderator
28,579 Posts
There is an excellent app called Fish App that shows the pics of the fish, regulations, and whether they are in season or not....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank yall for the information.. if the weather cooperates we are gonna make a trip to the edge to try our luck on something other than red snapper. Any advice woukd be appreciated.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,231 Posts
Yep, Mingo at the Edge is almost a guarantee.

Once in awhile the bite is OFF, but generally it's a good trip to take.

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you both.. Hopefully tomorrow i can post about a successful trip die to talks input.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I caught 4 Mingo's 4 miles from the destin pass this weekend (and only 1 red snapper at that spot so go figure). They're out there close to shore, just gotta get lucky to find them instead of more restricted species.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mingos(Vermillion snapper),White Snapper(Red Porgy)

We caught a nice mess of mingos and porgy this past saturday on chicken(2 hook dropper)rig this past saturday in 65-74ft of water fishing ledges east of destin pass on cut squid and did well last year in same depth range but the mingo are hit and miss at least in large numbers in close but Ive been doing well last few years.The biggest one was almost 3lbs and most of them were full of eggs. You just need to scale down on your tackle and hooks and bait and target them. You can often pick up legal scamp grouper and lane snapper this way but the endangered triggerfish can be a pain.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts