Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm amazed that no one seems to understand the disasterous results that the oil spill is going to have on Yak fishing around here. Particularly the Gulf.

Scenario: May 15, going to go to Navarre pier to launch. Drag kayak to the beach, The beach is black for about 15 feet to the edge of the water and loaded with tar balls. OK, go ahead and launch anyways and paddle out through the slick, keeping an eye on a large open area of water about a mile broad that does not have a slick but just a light sheen. Will troll for kings and spanish in there. Maybe even a lone tarpon. Managed to hook a king and a few spanish to take home to eat. Filet and notice a smell of fuel oil and just throw them out. Oh and by the way the kayak has a grease line about 2 inches wide all around the kayak. Only stronp petroleum products will wash it off. Really tough to get out of the peddle gears on a hobie.

This is nothing short of a disaster and will be affecting the kayakers for real. I figure next week will be the last good week to go off shore around here for quite a while. But hey I could be wrong and all this oils slick stuff is nonsense.

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well I am being optimistic for now. Well as long as the se breeze stays on track. We always spend a week in Gulf Shores the first week in June and we are watching this spill very close.

Our trip revolves around offshore yaking

I will be $izzed if we get down there and the beaches are crap. Oh well guess we just get to learn the inshore fishing better. ThereI go again being optimistic

·
Registered
879 Posts
I agree that this will be devastating to kayak fishing, however, for mepersonally kayak fishing will be taking a back seat to the moreimportant issue of helping to protect our environment. I'm just gonna have to stick to inshore for the next two weeks if/when it does impact us.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm optimistic that when the oil is on our beaches May 3rd, that an army shows up and cleans it all off the beaches so I can launch my white kayak without getting tar and oil on it.

Last fall a number of we fish yakkers went over to lower delta and fished the La. kayak tourney. Last I heard La. natural resouces authorized the immediate harvest of all shrimp that can be taken in before the oil gets in there and the shell fish are shut down.

Currently the EOC is being partially set up on monday to begin the coordination of the cleanup. The first 500 paid volunteers are being hired as of this morning. BP themselves are setting up a huge command post here in Escambia County in the last few days. The first of 80,000 ft of booms are going to be installed at the pass, sikes, 3 mile, I 10 and the midbay garcon pt. bridge.

Additional volunteers with pay are being asked to report for beach trash cleanup so that the sand sifters can clean out oil more easily.

I'm very optimistic that there is a full cleanup moblization under way right now from last I read and heard starting with Santa Rosa county all the way west county by county to and around the delta of the Mississippi.

Not sure if I even really want to go fish anymore at the moment because it could be like taking the last of the fish for personal reasons, especially all the inshore fish. They may be needed for the regeneration of future fish stocks.

I don't think many realize how this is going to impact the fishing industry and related business economically. A lot of people are going to be seriously affected if this disaster increases in scope over a lingering time period.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Allen - I think we do realize the impact it will have on our area, but the impact on our kayak fishing will be minor compared to the impact to our economy. There is a certain amount of shock value that I know I feel. It is hard to comprehend the possible scale of the disaster.

The spill is leaking oil at 5,000 barrels a day and if the cap dome plan does not work, it could take 60-90 days to drill and plug the well. That would make the spill larger than the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska (est. 250,000 barrels). They are still dealing with the impacts up there over 20 years later. The long term residual effects of all that petroleum and it's components that break down over time is not fully understood. There are people's livelihoods and a huge piece of our regional economy at stake - and the impacts could be felt all over the northern Gulf coast. We should plan and expect the worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
this is gonna suck! i love kayak fishing and fishing in general but my concerns are about the environment. this is gonna be disastorous: fish, crabs, birds, turtles, ect.. are all gonna have a really tough road ahead. im gonna keep praying..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the first oil found on Navarre beach, first public access west of the pier, confirmed by authorities making tests. Looks like you can see beach discoloration in the navarre cam.

I agree with someone, that said, to go see the beach at least one last time before it changes.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Holy Crap man.... Yak fishing is what you come away with... A week vacation might be impacted...

There won't be fish to catch - this will collapse the food chain in the entire Northern Gulf. The hydrocarbons will make you physically ill and burn your skin probably melt the plastic that makes up your yak.

Folks- wake up. It's over in the gulf and with the tides it's coming into the bays and that will doom the rest of the ecosystem.

Also don't whine about your vacation. Man-up and make some hard decisions. Watch you yak melt around you while you
paddle through piles of dead sealife?

damn,
Stressless

·
Registered
481 Posts
Stressless (01/05/2010)Holy Crap man.... Yak fishing is what you come away with... A week vacation might be impacted...

There won't be fish to catch - this will collapse the food chain in the entire Northern Gulf. The hydrocarbons will make you physically ill and burn your skin probably melt the plastic that makes up your yak.

Folks- wake up. It's over in the gulf and with the tides it's coming into the bays and that will doom the rest of the ecosystem.

Also don't whine about your vacation. Man-up and make some hard decisions. Watch you yak melt around you while you
paddle through piles of dead sealife?

damn,
Stressless
+1
I couldn't agree more with the above... The GOM is the only thing that makes pcola a great place to live in my opinion. Right now I'm in California for the summer working(collecting fish for contamination studies) this disaster is really making me consider staying out here. It really sucks just watching and waiting for the one thing you love the most to be destroyed! All I can do is pray its not as bad as it looks like its gonna be and good luck to all that are gonna be affected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At least we are not dealing with refined oil like the Exxon spill. Crude is much more less hazardous. Yes we have a problem by any means. Is America as a whole going to let this defeat our economy and ecosystems? Heck no. Where there is a will there is a way. There are some brilliant minds brain storming right now and someone will come up with something. We have done some amazing things in the past with disastersand I expect no less in this case.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Well, that's just pure unfiltered bullshit, rolltide, this problem isn't new and this type of problem has happened too many times in the past and, each time, the oil companies have poo poo'ed their way out of it with minimal damage to their coffers!! Where were these "brilliant minds" 20 years ago when Exxon Valdez broke up??? What did we learn from THAT disaster?? Absolutely NOTHING from all apparent opinions that are being voiced lately by the oil spill "experts".

Technology should have us just a bit past scrubbing birds and otters and other sealife with Dawn detergent and a friggin' tooth brush at this stage of experiences!!! They have no sensible means of entrapment of the loose crude floating in the water, the flotation collars don't work and only act as a barrier for anyone wanting to move their boat away from the onslaught of oil. These dissemination chemicals are going to break up the oil into smaller droplets, not "evaporate" it or "remove" it and, after all is said and done, we will wind up with a mountain of dead and rotting sea life piled up on our beaches, an oil residue all over the place that is more slime than anything else because it was "broken down" by these chemicals AND we will have the addition of thousands upon thousands of gallons of dissemination chemicals now spread throughout our near shore waters from Florida to Mexico adding further to the overall contamination of the area.

Y'all can optimize all you want and you can theorize till the cows come home, the plain fact of the matter is that we are going to have to deal with potentially the very worst oil spill disaster in our history and it will last for many years and possibly even generations before and if the ecosystems of the entire Gulf coast ever make any effort to return to their natural state again!! You can quote this in years to come if it turns out to be different and I will be the very first one to gratefully apologize on this forum for being wrong!! .......................... But I don't think I am very far off base with this one. This spill will have such an impact on the entire Gulf of Mexico and our Southern shoreline and estuaries and flats and deltas and all other aspects of maritime living the likes of which we have not the vaguest experience with to this time.

Who's to blame?? We ALL are, we all have become addicted to the products of the oil industry and cannot seem to kick the habit of our gasoline "fix" for our cars and our mowers and our boats and planes. And the oil industry has nurtured this addiction much as the tobacco industry had nurtured the addiction to nicotine back in the second half of the 20th century! We are hooked, we cannot find a cure. We know there is one out there, a car that can run on alternate energy, machines that operate on alternate power, but the oil barons won't allow that to happen!! They are the pushers of our "drug" and they don't want to lose even one damned dollar of their "drug" money by allowing new technology to be developed. AND they won't make one single pro-active move to develop a working process for dealing with the disasters that are bound to occur because that would require more of their "drug" money to be channeled in other directions than into their pockets! They choose to wait until a disaster such as we are facing now happens and then they REACT with the minimal amount of effort in a feeble attempt to minimize what cannot be minimized in reality and cover their tails when we eventually have nothing but a barren wasteland along our Gulf shores area of this country!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Being a lifelong outdoorsman, I didn't even touch on the economic impact that this record setting spill will have on so many industries on the Gulf coast!! Just the commercial fishing industry alone will be crushed in years to come!! Families will go broke, homes will have to be sold, relocation of so many people who depend on the Gulf for their livlihood will make the effects of Katrina on the relocation of so many thousands of dislocated victime of that natural disaster mere child's play in comparison!

It is such an upsetting scenario that I am moved to near tears at the very thought of what may happen to this coastline in the future. It is serious and it is happening now and we will pay for it for many many years to come.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think those that know me a little know that I was being fecetious with my optimistic posts. I was parroting the post prior. I am not the least bit optimistic about the situation getting better. It is going to just get worse. There is going to be oil all over the place.

However that is as long as the oil keeps coming out of the pipe in the bottom of the gulf.

Most of you know I am Christian. When I went to church this morning, my pastor made a comment about this oil problem. I have a very good pastor by the way. Very kind hearted man. The most kind hearted man I have ever met or known. He impressed me with one thing that I overlooked. That God could at any time just move to have it fixed. I know many of you do not believe in God, I do and faithfully. Because of this, I said to myself, yes that is the deal, it needs to be fixed and the fix to be miraculous and the sooner the better

I said the sooner the better. Not later, not in a few days, not next week or next month or after or because this equipment or that try or the valve or the BOP or what ever.

Just a BIG MIRACLE, THE SOONER THE BETTER AND NOW WOULD NOT BE TOO SOON, PERIOD. So I am going to be optimistic for real, for a miracle that, that thing stops spitting oil all over the GOM and I can go back to fishing again out there soon. I am going to pray for an immediate fix miracle!

·
Registered
150 Posts
all of this just is horrific. i will personally be spending all of my free time in the sand and on the water in the yak until i cant and then, will get out there in gloves and gear to clean. it sickens me to know the one place i cant leave because of the enviromental attrations keeping me here are possible going to decay infront of my eyes. most of us, for the most parthave allgrown upor been around the GC long enoughseeing MS to the FL panhandlechange, and benefit our lives and everyone around us now to just see it all crumble beneath us without any way to stop it...just lesson the blow maybe. I hope we all truly enjoythe last of the time we have out there and im sure illbe commutingwaydown the panhandle im sure over the summer to see some clean water with heathy fish. But in my mind i wish i could just deny this is all happening. i just want to just send my prayers out to God that this all stops for the sake and lively hood of everyone living from the coast of texas to florida

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
<span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_lblFullMessage">
At least we are not dealing with refined oil like the Exxon spill.
From
http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2010/...mobilize-for-oil-spill-reminiscent-of-valdez/

Oil from the leaking well is lighter than the Alaskan crude spilled by the Exxon Valdez, Etkin said. ?There are going to be more toxic impacts than the heavy black oil you saw with the Exxon Valdez.?
I still have 2 issues of the Natl. Geo. mags on the Valdez oil spill and initial cleanup efforts.

It is a different crude but it wasn't refined. Ours is a far lighter raw product.

Brent

·
Registered
179 Posts
<span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl03_lblFullMessage">Ithink those that know me a little know that I was being fecetious withmy optimistic posts. I was parroting the post prior. I am not the leastbit optimistic about the situation getting better. It is going to justget worse. There is going to be oil all over the place.

However that is as long as the oil keeps coming out of the pipe in the bottom of the gulf.

Mostof you know I am Christian. When I went to church this morning, mypastor made a comment about this oil problem. I have a very good pastorby the way. Very kind hearted man. The most kind hearted man I haveever met or known. He impressed me with one thing that I overlooked.That God could at any time just move to have it fixed. I know many ofyou do not believe in God, I do and faithfully. Because of this, I saidto myself, yes that is the deal, it needs to be fixed and the fix to bemiraculous and the sooner the better

I said the sooner thebetter. Not later, not in a few days, not next week or next month orafter or because this equipment or that try or the valve or the BOP orwhat ever.

Just a BIG MIRACLE, THE SOONER THE BETTER AND NOWWOULD NOT BE TOO SOON, PERIOD. So I am going to be optimistic for real,for a miracle that, that thing stops spitting oil all over the GOM andI can go back to fishing again out there soon. I am going to pray foran immediate fix miracle
+1
Because this is gonna take alot more than a huge box and alot of PO'd GC residence.
I've been a yak fisherman for about 6 months but I've fished this area my whole life,its really hard to wrap my mind around this whole concept.It makes me sick to my stomach to think about what is going to happen to the lifestyle i once knew...to be completely honest it's like a part of me will die with the rest of the GC..i wasn't ready for something this drastic to happen,at least not in my lifetime.i never thought i'd see the day when pensacola beach would cease to exist.
I amazes me how one day we have the most beautiful beaches in the US and the next we're preparing for it all to go away.Yeah the economy is completely screwed(or it will be soon) but it's the whole concept of losing something that so many people love and depend on.It's like death in a way; a loved one dies and the funeral is gonna cost a fortune,but that's usually one of the last things on your mind. It eventually becomes a financial problem but that is after everything is all said and done.
With all this said,i will be spending as much time on the water as possible so i can get one last taste of good clean saltwater before i go land-locked.As for the quoted post;i will be praying for a miracle every chance i get.

This is gonna be a wild ride guys..i'd rather be positive than negative anyday..it makes me feel better.. LARGE MOUTH BASS;HERE I COME!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts