Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do mainly inshore fishing from a kayak in different Bayous around Innerarity and I was wondering what bait are you guys using this time of the year and if artificial lures are working well. By the way I am new to the area and Thank you for the help and any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was in the same boat as you last year, new to the area and fishing techniques. Though I am still struggling inshore what I have learned I will share. A lot of folks use artificial in the bays and bayous (matrix shad is popular). Shrimp is not a magic bullet, from my experience you will catch a few fish, but will loose most of your shrimp to bait fish and undersized fish. I'm hardheaded I still bring some live shrimp usually. Mud minnows (bull minnows) are another commonly found at the bait shops. Limited luck on these but they last longer. My best luck has come from catching pin fish myself and using them for bait (sabiki, small hook w/ squid, cast net). I think my biggest challenge really is figuring out were and when to fish (shallows, channels, bridges, docks) it appears to me depending on tide and time of year these spots change. Hopefully someone with a little more experience will chime in, but I don't want to see ya left hanging. Just experiment and enjoy the time on the water.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the response. I am just enjoying the challenge. I am bass fisherman originally so I just do what I did to catch bass! Some times it works and some times it doesn’t. I appreciate any help or tips.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey thanks for the response. I am just enjoying the challenge. I am bass fisherman originally so I just do what I did to catch bass! Some times it works and some times it doesn’t. I appreciate any help or tips.

I'm in the same boat as you, moved here a year and a half ago and was pretty exclusively a bass fisherman till I started trying to learn the inshore stuff. Reds and trout are fun, can use a lot of the same tackle.

As for what to target, it's not always as intuitive for me but I have found moving water helps a lot, whether by wind or tide. Water moving through a cut or across a point is often good, and a piece of advice I was given that seems to be a good place to start: look for mullet. Where you see mullet jumping and/or bait schools around, is a good area to be in and just start fishing.

Grass flats in the sound and Big Lagoon are good during warmer months; during colder months the upper bays and river mouth areas can be good, targeting bends and cuts in the river where trout like to hang out in schools. Fishing slow with sinking twitch baits or flukes is a good place to start for those. Reds I just run into wherever I run into them, still working on trying to locate them with any consistency.

There are a number of places where water flows out of or into a bayou and those are good areas to poke around as well. Getting to know folks on the forum and trying to catch up and just fish with people will help give you some ideas.

Also consider hiring a guide for a couple trips. You can learn a lot that way, especially if you tell them what you're interested in learning and targeting ahead of the trip.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts