Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I know when it gets real cold they will swim sluggish on top making for some easy catching but I have never heard of it getting cold enough around here to kill them like that ??

·
Registered
829 Posts
yeah that sounds odd....like murph said...i know they get really slow...but ive never heard of them dieing from the cold.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ive seen several freezes that slowed the fish down but never killed them. Sometime in the past I remember Perdido bay freezing out a ways and seeing fish looking like they were dead but when the water warmed ever so slightly they swam off. Theres more to this story.:boo

·
Registered
931 Posts
idk it s got pretty damn cold the last few days i know that if it would have stayed that cold much longer thered be turtles washing up(not dead) just too cold to move

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I will have to agree There Is something more going on here, I have lived here since 74 and remember the Perdido bay Freezing I went and got some of the fish That had died but just because they were caught in the ice and could not move to get Oxygen thought their gills I can not remember hearing of a fish kill because the water was to cold, Could be wrong But still sounds fishy to me Just one mans opinion!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
i live in murrells inlet s.c. about 700 miles from yall. our weather is a lot like your's, i check it often cause my daughter lives in ft. walton beach and a few times a year i come down and go fishing. yesterday the finger mullet started dieing un the inlet. the bottom is littered with 'em. i think the sudden temperature drop is the culprit. our mullet head south during most winters. this year has been kinda mildand they hung around a little to late... the pelicans ans seagulls hare happy though.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I know I am several states away but last January in Matagorda,TX it got really cold one weekend while we were down there wading..

The mullet and the trout were both washing a-shore from the cold...I am sure if it happens here it can there!!! Not everything is a conspiracy.cold water does kill fish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ain't nothing killed them fish other than cold water. I launched at Russell Landing Saturday morning, water temp on the finder was 42 degrees. Yes, the mullet were floating, moving sluggishly, some dead. I did not see any other fish species floating except mullet, which were all around 10-12 inches. The few specks I caught were smallies, and one about 16".

·
Registered
272 Posts
Rapid temperature drop will most certainly kill mullet especially the smaller striped mullet. They get caught in shallow water which cools off really fast.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dont you guys know when its about to freeze, every portapotty must be dumped so there isnt and frozen doodoo. Thats what i think killed them - Inspector Gadget:moon:moon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts