Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, second post here…

Thought I would share a concept I am going to try. Maybe help somebody else out. So I bought the new Fish N Mate cart from Half Hitch. Got the cart, the one with the sand tires. The reviews say the tires are not really made for concrete or asphalt, they wear pretty quick. IDK... I am heading down to do some fishing at the end of Sept from NC. Anyways the place I am staying is beach front but I will have to use public access because of gates and steps at the condo. Public access is 150 yards down asphalt. These carts are pricey now, and replacement tires are like $219 for two.

Thought about having two sets of tires to swap out between beach and pier tires, too much trouble, I am there to fish.

Here is my concept to protect the beach tires and still have beach tires. I ordered two double thick 15“ tractor tubes,(Amazon $16 shipped) cut them and placed over the beach tires to minimize erosion to the beach tires. The Fish N Mate tires are 13“ went with the 15“ inner tubes, glad I did, they are on there like I wanted, nice and tight.

Hint, it really helps to pre inflate the tubes before stretching over the beach tires, even though 2” bigger tube than tire, it’s tight. I think I will have to let a little air out of the beach tires to make them a little softer after adding the “ rubbers”. BTW, let the rubber jokes start.
Automotive tire Lifebuoy Wheel Orange Wood

·
Super Moderator
30,450 Posts
Alot of folks use the plastic wheels off of the kids batt operated jeeps and such.

Reactions: TRG-42

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Great idea. It should work well.
My cart has regular tires because I hafta walk across the street and thru a gravel parking lot to get to the beach. I figured those sand tires wouldn’t last long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stand corrected on my post, the tires are stated as 15”, but the measure just over 13”. I just hauled the box off and it said 15” tires. Regardless, thought I would clear up my mistake in the original post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if you zoom in on the pic I just posted, that seam closest to the stem is where I cut with sharp scissors. Once I had both sides cut, I stretched the tube with the tube over my foot and pulling as hard as I could with my hands. I could tell it was starting to relax after about 15 minutes doing this. I needed another person to help me stretch over the cart tire.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anyone is trying to save money instead of buying a cart, these drywall mixing tubs from Lowes make a pretty good sled for carrying gear if you drill a couple holes in the front & add a length of rope for a drag handle. They last a long time & can be pulled on sand, asfault, piers, boardwalks, etc. They’re big enough for a cooler, tackle bucket, & sand spikes. You may just have to tote your rods in your hand, or rig up some kind of holder if you’re crafty. It’s basically a poor mans Jet Sled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts