Constitution Conservative
2,541 Posts
Crevalle Jack

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack Crevalle

Thanks to all for the ID. Yes it did pull, and had to play it a bit. Someone posted "Filet mignon of the surf.....", are they good table fare? I kinda hope not since I released it.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,541 Posts
Crevalle Jack is not normally considered good eating.
But that very much depends on who you ask.
It is considered trash or shark bait by most Americans, except for a small minority.
But other's will gladly chow down on it.

It's very much depends on processing the meat, cooking methods, seasonings and such.

Search it on here, lots of debate.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How the hell you put mullet and Bonita in the same category?
Maybe they're both in the fusiform family of fishes, instead of the alternative pancake-like ones.
;)

Actually, I've eaten all 3:

Mullet of course is fine: fried fresh.
Bonita can be eaten if bled immediately, filleted, rubbed in olive oil and grilled (on the boat).
Jack Crevalle: Our Belizean cook would rub strips of it in spices and fry in coconut oil. Now, you could cook a flip flop like that and it'd taste good after a cold beer! :whistling:

·
Registered
26 Posts
How the hell you put mullet and Bonita in the same category?

Because there is great controversy over the eating of such in some parts of this world.

That's what I'm seeing here. And now I've seen two fellows prepare and enjoy Jack Crevalle.

I'm game for any of them at least once. I usually like it all-when done up properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to all for the ID. Yes it did pull, and had to play it a bit. Someone posted "Filet mignon of the surf.....", are they good table fare? I kinda hope not since I released it.
is that from fort pickens area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts