Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like a Porgy to me. If you get one large enough to clean, the meat is white and tasty. Problem is they are usually thin and you don't get much meat from cleaning them.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
ShurKetch (3/31/2010)Looks like a Porgy to me. If you get one large enough to clean, the meat is white and tasty. Problem is they are usually thin and you don't get much meat from cleaning them.
There are two kinds of pogys here the ones caught offshore are good to eat. The one pictured is I beleive a jolthead pogy and are edible but not very good. I have seen them on inshore wrecks. they seem to be a little higher in height compared to the so called pink snapper pogey offshore.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fish was caught at the Tex Edwards. I'm not the one eating it. It's for the guy holding it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sealark (3/31/2010) ....The one pictured is I beleive a jolthead pogy and are edible but not very good...
I second. It looks like a jolthead porgy to me.

I agree with ShurKetch on the edibility though. I keep all the nice size ones I catch and they fried up as good as trigger or snapper.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
what's up chris??

thats just as a couple others have already said.. a JOLTHEAD PORGY it's on pg 100 of the sportfish of fl. id book. good eating if large enough to fillet. scientific name(like anyone really gives a hoot) is calamus bajonado.i think that might have been the last one in the gom so you will be shot at noon tommorow for killing it.:poke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts