Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
That would be the almighty pigfish, one of the most highly prized gamefish to be had anywhere in the world.

OK, that was a little overdone but they do make great live bait.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
don't let the NMFS see that they are catchable by recreaional fishermen or they will suddenly become OVERFISHED,ENDANGERED,NEAR EXTINCTION,TOO CUTE TO KILL, SO quickly put it on a bigger hook and release it to be eatn buy a bigger fish that is already all the above.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
We were fishing one day for shark in the bay. My buddy caught a nice 8-10" pigfish and threw it out on a steel leader. Had a run and reeled in the fish. We knew it wasn't a big shark....maybe a small one. Ended up being a 5lb spec! Funny thing was, it wasn't even hooked, it was choking on the pigfish!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
NavySnooker (10/9/2009)grouper candy!! also, in a pinch, good for a decent panfry... SHHH!!! it's a white trash secret!!
Yep, Ive heard the same, pig fish and pin fish both are supposed to be decent pan fish. Assuming you catch one big enough to mess with. I caught a pinfish once at 3mile that I swore must have been taking steroids

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jighead, if you handle a fish with a towel, itremoves the protective slime coat and makes the fish susceptible to infection. You used to see this a long time ago, now not so much. Use the towel, just after it is released.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not me. I use a boga or flip them off with pliers on all non-keepers for the reason you stated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts