·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Grouper candy! Sand perch

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Locals call them all 3.

I questioned "Squirrel Fish" when I moved from P'cola to Tarpon Springs in 1975. I'd always called them Sand Perch. Then I fished with some Greek guys who called the Aprohenos or some such. At the Greek fish markets in Tarpon Springs, Virgo's Seafood in particular, they are always called Apros or Aprohenos.

Whatever you call 'em, they are killer bait for all demersal species. AJ's and Cobia eat them with gusto too. I've caught Tuna on most everything culled from Shrimp boat trash so likely I've caught Tuna on whatever we want to call them.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I questioned "Squirrel Fish" when I moved from P'cola to Tarpon Springs in 1975. I'd always called them Sand Perch. Then I fished with some Greek guys who called the Aprohenos or some such. At the Greek fish markets in Tarpon Springs, Virgo's Seafood in particular, they are always called Apros or Aprohenos.

Whatever you call 'em, they are killer bait for all demersal species. AJ's and Cobia eat them with gusto too. I've caught Tuna on most everything culled from Shrimp boat trash so likely I've caught Tuna on whatever we want to call them.

Have fished out of Pensacola since 1976 as a teenager and we always called them squirrel fish. Must be another one of the local name "things" like lemon fish = cobia and black snapper = mangrove snapper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts