Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,508 Posts
Is it the same fish in both pics? Top is without doubt a young cobia but the bottom fish looks like it has the suction disc

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,545 Posts
Hmm well I think they all had a sneaker on the top but can you catch a baby cobia from the beach?
Yes, you can catch young cobia from the beach. But the "sucker sneaker' thing is pretty obvious.

Heck you can put your hand on it at it will hang on. It's a pretty obvious feature.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Yes its common to catch juvy cobia with remora. They are actually very closely related so its not just looks.

The young cobia have the same color pattern as remora perhaps because generally fish dont eat remora so by looking like one they are protected from predators.

Ive been catching several young cobia as well just short of being legal, they are a very fast growing fish so perhaps the little ones you are catching are yearlings.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,545 Posts
Not normal, but on a good day you can catch anything, including bonefish (ask Maggie Gray), to Sailfish, to Blackfin Tuna.

Mostly it'll be catfish, Bluefish, Spanish Mackeral, Whiting, and Redfish, Pompano plus all the small shark that haunt the beach.

By the way, look for and set up at places that look like they go out further along the beach line (runouts). The longer parts of the scallops that the beach produces. The current runs faster there and the fish will be waiting to ambush bait in the faster moving water.

The place where waves consistantly break "last" on there way in...

Jim

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts