Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Please help me identify these 2 green/gold fish! In the sunlight they were shiny and gold. These are smaller than an inch long.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
pilchard
jack

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
On the east coast they are called goggle- eye.....When they were plentiful and we would catch them at the pensacola beach pier ,we would call them "popeyes" great king mackeral bait alive, they tend to spin when dead....they look very much like a cigar minnow,but have a deeper belly and skinnier on the sides.....

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Popeyes...and worth a small fortune down south during sailfish tourneys.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Minners

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I would notice them on the outside of the alewife cloud....small brown patch ...they are easier to snatch than cigs.....but nobody snatches anymore.....
I did all day long at the pier....LYs were not really doing the sabiki thing and not swarming the ribbon rig....so, 2 red treble hooks and a bank sinker later, I was back in the snatching business. Did the same thing last year when cigs were think but not hitting sabikis.

Reactions: fairpoint

·
Registered
420 Posts
Those are not what we always called popeyes or goggleyes at the piers back in the 80s. What we caught and called popeyes were big eyed scad. The fish in your picture look like immature razor bellies of some kind. This is a popeye:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
somebody needs to do a little research on the op's original question. remember, we fish in the GULF OF MEXICO.
JACK

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
[Thats a popeye fo sure....the two on the op looked to me to be juvies.....I caught scad at the midnight lump off la. that were 2 ft long and 2.5 pounds....and they were more like cigar minnows than goggle eyes....they're very closely related and I would classify them in the JACK family because when you fish with one of them ,you are going to JACK something up,lol....

QUOTE="daylate, post: 8054734, member: 18928"]
Those are not what we always called popeyes or goggleyes at the piers back in the 80s. What we caught and called popeyes were big eyed scad. The fish in your picture look like immature razor bellies of some kind. This is a popeye:
View attachment 1070893
[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts