Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forums. I grew up in Mobile, AL, moved away for about 10yrs and been in P'cola about a year now. Finally getting settled back in to life on the coast and doing some fishing. Seems I catch something new each time i'm out so i'm still learning about the different fish and seasons. Spent the day fishing the shore in Perdido, caught a couple saltwater catfish (i think) and not sure what the others are. Id's please! :)

Attachments

·
Formerly CERT315
69 Posts
Yeah ground mullet is the local term, and I get em mixed up all the time but one is an Atlantic Whiting and the other is a gulf whiting also called a gulf kingfish...steppin out on a limb here but if I remember right the darker one with the bars is the gulf whiting...I'm probably wrong though, all I know for sure is they both eat the same!

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
You're probably right too, greyman. Just looked it up, the ground mullet (darker one) is a northern kingfish, and the lighter one is a southern kingfish. They're pretty much the same though. All you really need to call them is yummy.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
1- jack crevelle
2- ? ( some type of snapper or Porgie)
3- Top sail catfish
4- whiting
5- saltwater catfish

I would say 2,3,4 are good to eat.
1 and 5 not so much.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All of them have been ID'd correctly, but I disagree on the "don't eats" for either of the catfish. Both are excellent if fried and the gafftopsail catfish are great blackened too. Most people turn their noses up to catfish either haven't tried it, or didn't get all of the dark red meat off. You clean them of the dark red meat and they are GREAT!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
All of them have been ID'd correctly, but I disagree on the "don't eats" for either of the catfish. Both are excellent if fried and the gafftopsail catfish are great blackened too. Most people turn their noses up to catfish either haven't tried it, or didn't get all of the dark red meat off. You clean them of the dark red meat and they are GREAT!

Thanks for posting. I have tried the saltwater cat and didn't like it, topsail yea. I did over cook it though and I still could taste it. Guess I'm just comparing it to freshwater cat to much.

I took Clay-doh's word on the Jack Crevelle, If he said it sucks I'm not trying it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much for all the info! Looking forward to getting back out there this weekend, and hopefully doing some deep sea charter fishing in the near future.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,280 Posts
Would agree. My first year surf fishing I didn't know they were "trash fish" and we fried them up and ate the snot out of them. Now that I know they are trash fish we fry them up and eat the snot out of them. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
the cats arent that bad, they tast good but cleaning them is a pain and dont provide much meat. or have you ever ben barbed by one of those things. it hurts like a b**h. so i'll put it like this way. if you will cach and clean them for me i'll be happy to eat those cats.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ground Mullet

Yes, but I don't know the difference (other than color). I could be wrong, but I think they're both southern kingfish. I'll look it up though. I've often wondered if they were the same species.
Another local name for the same fish. I've heard them called both ways. Good eating! JMHO C2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts