Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was Grouper fishing in 130' out of Panama City, Fl. Someone in our group caught the fish described below. Anyone know what is was? Or does someone know a website with reef fish pictures that I could search.

About 13 - 15" long, light orange/tan color, body was round shape like a small football, dorsal fin was large and rounded with a black false eye spot, tail fin was also large and rounded with a black false eye spot, it ate a pinfish about 4" long, it looked like it probably pretends to be a rock with two fans growing on it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't have the website link for you, but the South Carolina DNR has a good fish ID page. Maybe you'll have luck with a Google search.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Closest thing I can find on Google images is Stonefish or Scorpion fish. But none of the pictures have the same rounded fins with false eye spot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ocellated Frogfish is it. Thanks for the help. For some reason I couldn't get it out of my mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.