Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Saltwater Newbie
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is this fish?

Caught this little fella near a bridge support on the small bridge by Juana's out towards Navarre beach this morning (Sat May 3rd).

He was about 8 inches long and made a "grunting" or "croaking" sound while I snapped this photo.

I released him unharmed and he went on his way, but should I ever catch his big brother, I'd like to know what I've got.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance!
John

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Pigfish and awesome bait.

·
Saltwater Newbie
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool... that was the consensus from a few friends who answered my facebook post. Little dude kept messing with my shrimps. LOL. Thanks for the quick replies!

(I'm new to SALT-water fishing...sigh)

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
He is alittle big for inshore bait but he wouldn't last 20 seconds on a good wreck or reef.

·
Saltwater Newbie
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He is alittle big for inshore bait but he wouldn't last 20 seconds on a good wreck or reef.
So, I'm guessing I WANT to try and find of few of these before going offshore... he was hitting my live shrimp. Anything else I should use to try and catch them with? Any recommendations?

Here's what I caught Thursday in the same general area. 20" Redfish... also on live shrimp.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Makes good live bait or cut bait. Can even be cooked and is okay table fare but be sure to fillet off the skin due to a very high iodine level.
Nice Redfish! Perfect size for a good meal :yes:

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
So, I'm guessing I WANT to try and find of few of these before going offshore... he was hitting my live shrimp. Anything else I should use to try and catch them with? Any recommendations?

Here's what I caught Thursday in the same general area. 20" Redfish... also on live shrimp.

Don't go too far offshore with a red fish in the boat . I don't Think you can possess one in federal water.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
They will hit small pieces of squid or shrimp.

Reactions: Nuts4coke
1 - 18 of 18 Posts