Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEEN FISHING HERE FOR 40 YEARS AND NEVER CAUGHT ONE OF THESE OR SEEN ONE. CAUGHT IT AT 17TH AVE THIS MORNING. I'VE HEARD OF A RAY CALLED A BUTTERFLY RAY. COULD THIS BE ONE??SINCE I KILLED IT I WENT AHEAD AND CLEANED IT AND I'LL TRY IT TO SEE HOW IT TASTE.

IT HAS A SHORT TAIL WITHOUT A BARB. IT WAS BROWN W/DARK SPOTS LIKE A FLOUNDER BEFORE IT WAS ICED DOWN.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sir I believe it is a butterfly ray. Google it and the pics are identical. Also check out this quote from another website

"The spiny butterfly ray is found in the western and eastern Atlantic Ocean. In the western Atlantic it occurs from southern New England to Brazil. It is rarely recorded in the Gulf of Mexico. In the eastern Atlantic it occurs from Portugal to Ambriz, Angola (including the Mediterranean, Black Sea, and the Madeira and Canary islands)."

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS CATFISHHUNTER THATS THE GUY-- A SMOOTH BUTTERFLY RAY. I DIDN'T THINK THAT THERE WAS A FISH IN THE BAY THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN. BUT YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU WILL CATCH AT 4 IN THE MORNING. THANKS AGAIN.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, I'd never seen one until the past few years. I've gigged a couple having mistaken them for flounder. Stick 'em across the tip of one wing for a good time... :letsdrink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts