Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I wanted to get your opinions and ideas on a fishfinder for my yak. I would like to know is it more important to have a standard color finder or down imaging. Is it helpful to target actual fish or for searching for structure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I just upgraded from a B&W Cuda to a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI and the sonar is excellent. Love the down imaging. Much better resolution of what is under the yak. Very good for seeing structure, obstacles, bait, etc. Plus, now I have GPS, which provides a lot of good info. Keep in mind that when you are in shallow water you're scanning a small area. For ex., in 6 feet of water with a 30 degree beam either side of the transducer, you are only looking at a cone about - EDIT 8.5 feet across under the boat. More of a depth finder than fish finder...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just upgraded from a B&W Cuda to a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI and the sonar is excellent. Love the down imaging. Much better resolution of what is under the yak. Very good for seeing structure, obstacles, bait, etc. Plus, now I have GPS, which provides a lot of good info. Keep in mind that when you are in shallow water you're scanning a small area. For ex., in 6 feet of water with a 30 degree beam either side of the transducer, you are only looking at a cone about 6 feet across under the boat. More of a depth finder than fish finder...
Thanks that is what I was looking for.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just upgraded from a B&W Cuda to a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI and the sonar is excellent. Love the down imaging. Much better resolution of what is under the yak. Very good for seeing structure, obstacles, bait, etc. Plus, now I have GPS, which provides a lot of good info. Keep in mind that when you are in shallow water you're scanning a small area. For ex., in 6 feet of water with a 30 degree beam either side of the transducer, you are only looking at a cone about - EDIT 8.5 feet across under the boat. More of a depth finder than fish finder...
Did you do a through hull or is your ducer wet? I'm thinking of getting the same thing but the hdi ducer is too big to do a scupper mount on my yak without sticking too far out the bottom. I'm worried about the downscan being degraded too much through the hull though.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mine is a shoot through, glued down with marine Goop. Seems to work great, good resolution on the sonar images. Just make sure there are no air pockets between the transducer and the hull. I warm the Goop up in a cup of hot water and it flows very easily. No problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts