Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lowrance 4 Elite HDI

Why carry a separate GPS? I like it all on one screen or split screen or tri-screen like I can do with my Elite 4 HDI and if you happen to see another kayaker on a hotspot (like JD) you can cruise by and mark point...just kidding(JD will chase you off) but it is possible then you can also have a new hotspot.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Why carry a separate GPS? I like it all on one screen or split screen or tri-screen like I can do with my Elite 4 HDI and if you happen to see another kayaker on a hotspot (like JD) you can cruise by and mark point...just kidding(JD will chase you off) but it is possible then you can also have a new hotspot.

LoL the pistol isn't JUST for makos! Other sharks out there ya know! :thumbsup:

But when Im out there I keep my head on a swivel and Ive had to tell clients many times that we are moving because other people are coming too close.

I wont be out there this year though guys...not on a yak at least! :whistling:

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had the lowrance 4HDI on my outback worked fine but I had a little trouble seeing it sun glare and it's size. I have the 5 HDI on my pro angler works good. Just depends how much you wanna spend and what type of fishing you plan on doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I opted for super cheap and easy. Hummingbird PiranhaMax 155. Fishing mostly inshore, I generally don't need to know much more than water depth. At $70, it was an easy decision.
+1. Just tested mine out on the Fish River this morning. Works great for what I need it for but have to do something about the rooster tale the transducer kicks up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One piece of advice I can give for install is for the power wire. I drilled a hole and ran it through the hull, I used some thru hull grommets and sealed it with some goop. It works and looks great and doesn't leak a drop. The only problem is now the only time I can play with the fish finder is when it's on the yak, it's a pain. So if possible run the power wire with out going thru the hull, so you can play with the settings and stuff on the couch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the elite 4 hdi as well, haven't mounted the ducer yet, it's big and doesn't fit nice in the scupper of my propel without sticking out the bottom a little bit. Thought about doing shoot through but read that it degrades downscan. Can anyone vouch for that?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
One piece of advice I can give for install is for the power wire. I drilled a hole and ran it through the hull, I used some thru hull grommets and sealed it with some goop. It works and looks great and doesn't leak a drop. The only problem is now the only time I can play with the fish finder is when it's on the yak, it's a pain. So if possible run the power wire with out going thru the hull, so you can play with the settings and stuff on the couch.

This^, I hated having to go sit in the kayak to plug new numbers in and such.

As far as mounting the transducer there is 2 or 3 ways. I have always opted for using electricians putty (duct seal) make a small circle (big enough for the ducer) sit the transducer down in the hole and then pinch the sides in on the ducer. This will secure the ducer to the deck.

Another is to lay down a thin layer of Goop, slightly larger than the LxW of the ducer. lay the transducer down on the goop and rock it into a settling point. You want to try to eliminate any kind of bubbles in the goop and rocking the transducer side/side and forward and backwards will help eliminate the bubbles.

The 3rd option is to invest in the over the side transducer arm made by companies like ram mounts.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts