Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Work Hard, Fish Harder...
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, I did a post a little ago about my machine not reading good in deeper waters (200’ to 400’ish) few guys advised me to get a 1k thru hull transducer but that ducer is not comparable with any of my current machines and there where not serving me well anyway so I am Going to buy new machine and new ducer, so here is what I am leaning towards:

Garmin 942XS
Airmar B-164 1K 50/200kW

I called Airmar and they told that If I am not going any deeper then 800’ the B-117 should serve me very well, anyone has one installed by any chance?

They also told me about the thruhull chirp I would get more out the machine, any thoughts?

if anyone here has any better options or ideas, please share I am open to ideas.

·
Premium Member
11,206 Posts
1k minimum.
avoid the shoot thru hull design.

Reactions: Lipz

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1k minimum.
avoid the shoot thru hull design.
Thanks for your reply, is there any problem related with the thru hull ducer that I should be aware of it, other then putting a hole on the hull?

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
A thru hull typically is installed in a sealed box filled with a special oil. There is no hole in the hull, that’s why it’s called a Thru-hull. It shoots through the hull.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Garmin 942XS
Airmar B-164 1K 50/200kW

No! That has No knobs and is Touch screen....NO!
That X-Ducer will work but it is NOT a Chirp X-Ducer, so your loosing the bennifit of CHIRP.

Get a Garmin 1042xsv & Airmar B175M

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
To Help with X-Ducer confusion.......

Shoot Thru is in a Box and shoots thru the Fiberglass hull

Thru Hull has a hole cut in the hull and is mounted so it's exposed outside the hull.....

Call me if you want my help 850 207-4632

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A thru hull typically is installed in a sealed box filled with a special oil. There is no hole in the hull, that’s why it’s called a Thru-hull. It shoots through the hull.
Thanks for explaining it, I am a newby on offshore.

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No! That has No knobs and is Touch screen....NO!
That X-Ducer will work but it is NOT a Chirp X-Ducer, so your loosing the bennifit of CHIRP.

Get a Garmin 1042xsv & Airmar B175M
Great point Bobby, I was thinking the same thing and even ask the vendor about how the touch screen would work with wet finger, he said “don’t worry you will be alright” of course lol

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Help with X-Ducer confusion.......

Shoot Thru is in a Box and shoots thru the Fiberglass hull

Thru Hull has a hole cut in the hull and is mounted so it's exposed outside the hull.....

Call me if you want my help 850 207-4632
That’s what I have learn from my limited research, Bobby I will call you later today about this if you don’t mind, thanks again!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Call Bobby and talk to him. I spoke with him yesterday about a boat im having built at the end of the year for him to do some installations.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Don't be afraid of a transom mount ducer, probably folks will give me crap for that. All you need around here for bottom fishing and they have them with all the features you want.

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lipz I agree with Bobby, I love the 1042 because it isn't touch screen, which a touch screen is a pain in the ass running offshore.
Thanks dude, I went fishing with a buddy of mine few times and he had 2 touch screen units and Once in a while he was complaining about the screen, would be great to have touch screen and the buttons so you could choose

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
I fished many , many years with a 1K shoot thru hull x-ducer. (The special fluid is antifreeze BTW) it did just fine for me. it's ease to go overboard with the electronics, it'll add up fast... then by the time you install it, there's something better on the market. shoot for the middle of the road stuff.... get what will work for YOU, not your buddies....

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fished many , many years with a 1K shoot thru hull x-ducer. (The special fluid is antifreeze BTW) it did just fine for me. it's ease to go overboard with the electronics, it'll add up fast... then by the time you install it, there's something better on the market. shoot for the middle of the road stuff.... get what will work for YOU, not your buddies....
I agree 100%, I feel Very comfortable Staying In the middle, I hate the feeling of spending too much or cutting myself short and regret. My dilema is, this boat i am planning to keep for another 2 years and then get something bigger or better at least, but I the meanwhile I want to be able to enjoy it, we spend lotta money to get out there to be fishing “blind” or guessing, I started of with a budget of $2,000 for new electronics and I think it is a reasonable number I think but correct me if I am wrong, I don’t want or need the latest, finest electronics, I just want to be able to find the structure if it Is holding any fish properly or at least close enough, and not have to drop in every spot to find out basically. We have spots that mark no fish and we have bites, and lotta of them mark fish but no bites, it is very frustrating. We did several adjustments and still.

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
I think you answered your own question, if you buy new electronics today for a boat you're moving up from in 2 years...

I'd go this route.... save your $$ for the new boat in 2 years..... my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts