Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Empty Fishbox
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I get into really shallow water, 2-3ft, my fishfinder wants to read erratically. It will display anywhere from 2ft to 189 ft up and down. Anyone have any suggestions or have you experienced the same problems?

·
Registered
499 Posts
It might help if we knew what fish finder you have. Also, where do you have it mounted? I am thinking it may be in a bad place (at least for shallow water) i.e. too close to the motor and the only time you have a problem is when you get into shallow area from the prop wash.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
try swapping the frequency, 50 to 200 or vise versa. can't remember.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Use the higher frequency in shallow water. Mine does the same thing when i get into water that is less than about4 feet.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Use the higher frequency (200khz) in shallow water and the lower frequency (50khz) for deep water. Single frequency transducers work best in shallow water.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Pretty sure they all do that because of a double echo of the sound bouncing off the bottom of the water, then the bottom off the boat, then the bottom of the water again.

·
Empty Fishbox
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a Humminbird 717, and thanks guys for all the input. Frequency and gain may be my problems. I'll give them both a try..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts