Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this sport so I apologize for blowing this forum up with a questions. I've been researching fish finders for a few days now, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. Originally I was looking at the piranha series by humminbird, but now I think I need one with GPS. So what's the best combo? I don't really want to spend over 200.00, however I will entertain the idea. Also, is GPS necessary? I plan on doing a little offshore fishing, and a lot of inshore and bay fishing. Thanks for any help and input!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lowrance elite 4. It's the perfect size for a kayak and has gps on it. You can mark locations in the gps, set way points, plug in coordinates etc...I wouldn't say the gps is absolutely necessary but it would make life easier out there.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I bought the Hummingbird model 587 color fish ID GPS combo, last summer, I use it on inland lakes and Lake Michigan to depths well over 200', it is a great all around unit, But it is 400.00 to $500.00

Kevin

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I did tons of research, I think I will get the Lowrance Mark 4. Several places are selling it for 199.99.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I got the mark 4 and have been happy with it. The only thing u must be careful with is the rubber door for the memory card u have to make sure its closed propery. If its not just right it falls open and can let water in.

Other then that its been great

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got the mark 4 and have been happy with it. The only thing u must be careful with is the rubber door for the memory card u have to make sure its closed propery. If its not just right it falls open and can let water in.

Other then that its been great
You can also apply some silicone sealant over the slot to be safe.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Has anybody tried the Elite-4 DSI combo from Bass Pro for $350? Or is it overkill?
Haven't tried it but I understand the DSI models must have the transducer mounted externally to get that nice DSI picture, which is not what most typically do. The newer Hobie Pro Anglers have the protected transducer mount area for this reason. Most go through-hull.

I have a Mark 4 and can vouch for it. But you must grease all your connector pins and seal or pack the SD card slot with grease.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
Dielectric grease for the used and unused connections. You also need to find some type of cap for the unused connection on back. I don't believe They don't include a cap when you buy one.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
They're marketed for kayaks and the warranty service will replace them no problem. I have rolled mine twice and it worked fine afterwards, but you definitely should take some precautions. The grease is a must. I pack the unused connector with dielectric grease and I grease my SD card. Sealing the SD card flap is highly recommended, though I haven't even done that myself yet.
If you're really concerned, you may choose to traverse the surf zones with the head unit stowed in a dry bag or case. I know I've been hit with countless waves over the bow and it's never failed because of water issues. I did have one fail because the SD card flap wouldn't seal right and my card slot eventually corroded.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anybody tried the Elite-4 DSI combo from Bass Pro for $350? Or is it overkill?
I picked one up at Academy for $249 when they were on sale. I really like it, but I can't say that I have caught more fish with the ff than without.(probably just me). It does a great job of showing the bottom structure and marking way points. I am very pleased with its performance on the Malibu Stealth 14.

Greg

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
Greg how do you like the Dsi? And how did you mount the transducer? I will look at academy when I am buying my Elite 4 Dsi maybe they will have them on sale again.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
If you find your best internet price, print it out and take it to West Marine, They'll match the price. Only difference, you'll have to pay taxes at West, but, you'll have a local contact for any problems.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Greg how do you like the Dsi? And how did you mount the transducer? I will look at academy when I am buying my Elite 4 Dsi maybe they will have them on sale again.
Portable elite 4 dsi on malibu stealth ready for trial

This is the post I placed that shows how I have it mounted. It works great and I really like the DSI. It shows you what is on the bottom and balls of bait fish really well. It is very intuitive, easy to use and the gps works great.

I don't know if Academy will run their sale again or not, but since they are moving to their new location on the 24th of this month, I would watch their sales ads before and after the move.

Greg

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I like how you mounted yours. I think I can use a slidetrax mount dashhoard to mount mine although I have a place between my legs . I don't even have any rodholders. I might rig my battery like your until I get everything figured out. I hate to drill a hole in a $1300 piece of plastic just to find out it wont work out right. as for transducer mounting I am looking at a scupper mount, a slidetrax arm that hangs over or mounting it on the rudder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts