Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a combo unit that will work well in the bay and occasional excursions into the gulf. I have a 23 tritoon. I am looking to spend between $500-1000 for everything. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am looking for a combo unit that will work well in the bay and occasional excursions into the gulf. I have a 23 tritoon. I am looking to spend between $500-1000 for everything. Thanks for your help.
I would say either the Garmin 740s or the new Furuno MFD. I personally dont like the lowrance stuff....

I think our next unit will be the Furuno MFD.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have the 740s and really like it. Wish it was bigger. Because of the new Chirp models, you can buy the 740s for around $825.00. You still need to buy the transducer and that's less than $100.00to nearly $1000.00 depending on what you want. Most people are happy with the transom mount.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I have the 740s and really like it. Wish it was bigger. Because of the new Chirp models, you can buy the 740s for around $825.00. You still need to buy the transducer and that's less than $100.00to nearly $1000.00 depending on what you want. Most people are happy with the transom mount.

Bigger screen is better depending on your age!

OP should look for sales, etc. They come around once or twice a year. I think WestMarine is going to have a sale in December.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have a 998 and it's great. Mine is a slightly older unit, but fantastic for what you want to do.
I have the 998c SI as well and love it for the bay and nearshore. Check Academy online, they can be had pretty cheap since the "HD" models came out.

Edit: should have read the last post. You already found it there...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Tkh329- How does the 998 look in direct sunlight?
I don't have a problem with it, but it is a little difficult in direct strong sun with the sun behind me shining onto the plotter, but even then not bad. You're welcome to come out with me sometime and check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a problem with it, but it is a little difficult in direct strong sun with the sun behind me shining onto the plotter, but even then not bad. You're welcome to come out with me sometime and check it out.
That would be awesome! I will not be able to come down there until Nov 2nd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts