Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,783 Posts
I have found that I stone way more fish if I shoot them along the lateral line at a 45 degree angle, as opposed to a 90 degree broadside shot. I make my shaft enter the gills, pass through the brain, and out the eye on the backside.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thanks F-n-F.<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">I agree that shooting forward though the eye works well.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">Since the skull is thicker around the brain, it is important that the shaft has enoughenergy when it strikes the fish to make the kill and go through the skull. If thespear tip becomes lodged in the skull, then it may turn into a one-fish-dive.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">You can increase the energy delivered to the "stone-zone" by increasing the mass (weight) of your shaft or by increasing the velocity (speed) of the shaft, or both. Make sure that you use your free hand to brace the butt of the gun, so that forward momentum is not lost by recoiling the gun backwards.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">A few other tips:<o:p></o:p><UL><LI><DIV style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">Take an extra second or two to line-up a good shot. You may have to swim parallel with the fish in order to give yourself some extra time. <o:p></o:p></DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">Slowly squeeeeze off the shot as you track the fish. <o:p></o:p></DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">Use a gun that shoots straight. Some of the low-end guns do not.The right gun makes a huge difference. <o:p></o:p></DIV></LI>[/list]<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">With some practice and the right gear, you can ?stone? most of your fish. Practice as much as you can, and enjoy!<o:p></o:p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts