Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am going to go hunting for my first time this year, and I am planning on fishing Escambia River WMA, I have an 18ft flats boat that I am planning on using to get me out there, but I am looking for some beginners advice

(I am hunting with a buddy, but he's never hunting around here, or using a boat for that matter.)

What are some tips for boating further up the river?

if I plan to set up a stand, or get off my boat in general, how do I know the area I want to park my boat doesn't have underwater obstructions?

whats the best way to secure my boat, anchor off the bow an tie up the stern to a tree or?

any tips for the area in general, or for someone who is new at hunting in general

I know the most important rule (don't shoot until your 200% sure what your shooting at.)

advice on things to bring with me?

I am working on snake boots but they are a bitch to find in my size.

any advice on keeping the cost down? short of the rifle I have to go buy everything new, and until I know I'm gonna enjoy it, I'd like to keep the costs down some.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Hmmmm here are a few that come to mind ; Use google earth to determine where you will hunt and show it to someone in case you get lost Get a map and make sure you know where the management area ends and private property begins. In some places you can walk a couple hundred yards off the bank and be in someone's food plot. That's not good! Tie up on a deep bank. Escambia can fall out fast. A deep bank will be the inside of a bend which is where you will want to exit and hunt. This will keep you from having river on three sides!
Also keep your eyes on the ground. If you can find a white oak acorn also called a swamp chestnut you should see tons of deer and hog sign. The acorns are almost the size if a golf ball and deer and hogs love them.
If it were me... I would take a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 or #1 buckshot - not a rifle.
Your gonna hit a stump. Go slow and keep your eyes open looking for underwater wood
Wear plenty of ORANGE!
Good luck!
Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Good advice from Try'n.

Probably your best bet would be to buddy up with someone with lots of experience. Lots to learn, and plenty of mistakes to be made. Don't get discouraged and be very careful.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I agree with them. Don't have much experience hunt the Escambia but for general hunting, one of the most important things is scent control and wind. Wash in scent eliminating soap, dry clothes with scent control dryer sheets, store clothes in airtight bag spry down with spray, and change after you get out of your car and going to your hunting spot. It may not seem like a big deal, but all those steps will pay for mistakes in the long run.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Look for old river runs or dry ditches running through the swamp, deer and hog use them alot to move from place to place. Also look for ridges of high ground off the river, deer will bed along the ridges and visible trails going in and out will be a good spot to setup, especailly during high water. Also don't think you have to get that far from the river, a lot of deer and hog travel up and down the river banks and may have main crossings in certain parts. Follow creeks up from where they meet the river and you should also find good crossings to setup along creeks. Deer and hogs are simliar to us in that they will take the path of least resistance to get from one point to the other, major trails are used just like roads to us. Keep that in mind when scouting. Things to have, 2 good flashlights, thermacell, flagging tape/reflective tacks, good spotlight in your boat, rope, and pretty much anything else you can think of...Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Well, I am going to go hunting for my first time this year, and I am planning on fishing Escambia River WMA, I have an 18ft flats boat that I am planning on using to get me out there, but I am looking for some beginners advice

(I am hunting with a buddy, but he's never hunting around here, or using a boat for that matter.)

What are some tips for boating further up the river?
keep an eye out and go slow. Leave a little earlier to give you ample time making it up river.

if I plan to set up a stand, or get off my boat in general, how do I know the area I want to park my boat doesn't have underwater obstructions?
Watching the water surface will tell you a lot about what is happening underneath. If you are hunting the river, you will hit something. It just happens.

whats the best way to secure my boat, anchor off the bow an tie up the stern to a tree or?
I always tie my bow off and pull it partially on shore. If I am hunting where the current is stiff I tie it off so that the bow is pointing in the current.

any tips for the area in general, or for someone who is new at hunting in general
Google Earth and spend as much time as you can scouting understanding the lay of the land. I have seen most of my bigger deer while I have been scouting so keep an eye out and pay attention and you could kill a hoss stalking.

I know the most important rule (don't shoot until your 200% sure what your shooting at.)

advice on things to bring with me?
Lights are very important to me when I am hunting on the river. Most of my trips on the river are deep inn the cypress swamp. Blood trailing at night with minimal light opposite direction of your boat is not fun. I have ended up just north or just south of my boat and had no clue which direction my boat was. I had to just pick a direction and walk until something is familiar.

I am working on snake boots but they are a bitch to find in my size.
If there are a lot of hogs there seems to be minimal snakes. I have noticed this to be true more and more over the years.

any advice on keeping the cost down? short of the rifle I have to go buy everything new, and until I know I'm gonna enjoy it, I'd like to keep the costs down some.
Don't buy into the hype of fancy hunting stuff. Jeans and a jacket while hunting on the ground has likely killed more deer than most other means.
Good luck and have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts