Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am going to the Keys on the 15th to visit a friend who lives in Marathon. It is going to be my first trip down there, and I am pumped to do some fishing. Only problem is my buddy down there does not fish!! I am bringing my kayak so I will not be entirely landlocked! I am looking for any advice on where to go? What to fish for? Any places to stop along the way? Any input will help!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I favor Big Pine and No Name keys... On the west end of the 7 mile bridge...

No Name is a great island to fish and nearly unfished quite often. You can get in the water from "the old wooden bridge" fish camp . There are plenty of canals around NN with juvey tarpon usually. There are all sorts of "bomb holes" and various depths... You might find a trip to a close island further "out back" to your liking too.
Brent

·
Registered
879 Posts
Stand by for PM. I'll be heading down the same day and might just have a little insider info for ya ;). I'll keep my eyes peeled for your kayak on the trip down.

·
Registered
879 Posts
OK, so here we go with some Keys info. I'm just gonna through some stuff at you. Let me know if you wanna know anything else.

First and foremost, kayakfishing. If your gonna be in marathon I recommend to spend some time working the channel that runs in right next to Sombrero Beach on the ocean side. I've have done very well here with many species of fish.
Anchor up at the mouth of the channel, I believe it's called Sister's Creek, and freeline live shrimp. You can easily catch your limit of mangrove snapper this way. Also, you have a very good shot at some little tarpon(~30lbs), not to mention jacks, mackerel, and loads of other fish. If you work a ways back into the channel there will be some smaller creeks branching off to the west. These hold baby tarpon, a few snook, and jacks. Definitely Google Earth it before you go.

As for places to check out, I recommend Robbies if you wanna hand feed some big tarpon and go to World Wide Sportsman for an overload on tackle. Some great places to kayak too are Indian and Lignumvitae Key. Both are easy paddles, but definitely check the tides before you head out. You can find plenty of info on these places once you get there or online.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Have a great trip and maybe we'll run into each other. I live down near Big Pine.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Here are some great spots.

1. Half way down US1 between Florida City and Key largo there is a marina with a crane that has an American flag on it. They gated off the boat ramp a few year back but I think you can still get your yak out there. Paddle north to the bay and fish for trout on a cork with a green grub on a white head.

2. Put in at the marina just south of Jewfish creek just north of the FWC station. Skip weedless plastics as far into the mangroves as you can for Snook and have a bobber rig set up with a pinfish incase you see Tarpon rolling along the canal. This will happen in the morning or evening where the creek splits. You should catch 1 every 10 minutes or so.

3. Around mile marker 78 you will see a Key with 1 house on it that has not been finished for years now. I know the combonation to the gate but they would kill me and arrest you. On either side off that key where the public has access to put in and paddle to the channel use the same bobber rig for Tarpon and sharks. Rollin Martin films his show there a few times a year. It's a good spot.

Those are the only producing spots you can get to by the Yak that I know of. Also on #2 if you feel frisky paddle out another 1/4 mile to the flat northand a good amount of Bonefish school there and fall off the flat as the tide goes out in the morning. As soon as the water gets hot they are gone so hit it earley. As your going out there keep a rod carolina rigged incase you see a hole in the coral. It looks like sand spots in the grass that has a darker shade. They always hold either a Jewfish or red grouper. Mostly Jewfish so make sure you know the difference. If it's Lobster season that is a good area to find them. Lots of lost traps and only 5' of water.

Other than that look for schools of Tarpon roling where ever you are and use the bobber with live bait rig.

Great places to go not to fish are Alabama Jacks on Cardsound. GREAT conch fritters!!!! And find out where Bid Dick and the extenders are playing and go. It's a blast but not for children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts