Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out Saturday to Crooked Island for the first time ever. We put in at Tyndall. Stayed out from about 1 pm until 5 pm. Never caught a pompano or whiting before but ended up with a few nice ones. Went towards the flats for the last 30 minutes or so and caught a few trout but no keepers. Got stuck on the gravel boat ramp trying to pull our Robalo out of the water with a 2WD Tundra. Luckily for us some nice folks showed up and were able to help us out of the water. Very interesting fishing location but not sure if I'll be back. Don't want to get stuck again!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Congrats on your firsts. Let us know which fish tastes best to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All were caught on silly willy jigs (Thanks PJ!)...I used pink/white with a yellow feather and a chartreuse/white with a pink feather...Not sure how much it mattered...1/2 ounce size. Some were caught tipped with fish bites and others weren't. Blue runner and lady fish gave us fits. Fished the inlet area. Being a former tournament bass guy I used my foot pedal and trolled back and forth along the inlet multiple times. The bite was fairly slow but you would catch enough to keep you interested. The short trout were caught on paddle tail swimbaits. I didn't bring a topwater but it looked great Saturday for throwing one.

Fried them up yesterday with panko...Pompano is my new favorite fish I do believe. I still like my trout also. The whiting was very good as well.

·
Registered
486 Posts
All were caught on silly willy jigs (Thanks PJ!)...I used pink/white with a yellow feather and a chartreuse/white with a pink feather...Not sure how much it mattered...1/2 ounce size. Some were caught tipped with fish bites and others weren't. Blue runner and lady fish gave us fits. Fished the inlet area. Being a former tournament bass guy I used my foot pedal and trolled back and forth along the inlet multiple times. The bite was fairly slow but you would catch enough to keep you interested. The short trout were caught on paddle tail swimbaits. I didn't bring a topwater but it looked great Saturday for throwing one.

Fried them up yesterday with panko...Pompano is my new favorite fish I do believe. I still like my trout also. The whiting was very good as well.
Good info thanks. I just got off the water. Had fun. I love crooked island. Freaking paradise
PM me if you ever want to ride with me.

·
Super Moderator
28,289 Posts
Nice going and congrats on some 1sts!!!!!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
. I didn't bring a topwater but it looked great Saturday for throwing one. .
I can't imagine being on the water without at least one rod rigged with a topwater in the boat. Heck I even have it up in the rod holder when we take the kid out tubing! ;)

Glad you caught some fish, thanks for the report!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts