Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been in the area about 3 years, prior military, and an avid hunter up north. I was recently looking into hunting blackwater but did not receive one the 1800 permits this year. My next choice is the escambia river WMA. IF anyone has any info regarding the hunting (besides what's offered in the brochure on myfwc) it would be greatly appreciated. Is it even worth trying if I don't plan to use a boat or kayak. I've heard conflicting information about the condition of the land.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not much of Escambia WMA accessible without a boat. someone else can maybe help you more with that. You can still hunt Blackwater, just not during the quota periods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I gathered in the blackwater brochure the quota period coincides with the general gun season periods. I may just misunderstand it, im going to call fwc today and try to get some clarification.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If you plan on hunting escambia without a boat I suggest a pair of hip waders and snake chaps then find an access and start walking, in about an hour start scouting. There are some really good deer and hogs on escambia and a lot of really lazy hunters. Plenty to be had just gotta put in the time and effort. I know this because I haven't killed anything there but 3 of my friends I have set up in my spots have, I'm just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
From what I gathered in the blackwater brochure the quota period coincides with the general gun season periods. I may just misunderstand it, im going to call fwc today and try to get some clarification.
The quota permit is only required for the first part and last part of gun season in blackwater. You don't need on to hunt the middle of gun season. I can't remember the dates off hand but they are on the fwc website

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the help. I'm getting pretty excited for the upcoming season. I think I may go scouting this weekend in the escambia river area. Im also definitely going to try blackwater out as well. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the help. I'm getting pretty excited for the upcoming season. I think I may go scouting this weekend in the escambia river area. Im also definitely going to try blackwater out as well. Thanks again!
Make sure you wear orange if your going to be out scouting after today, archery season opens tomorrow so there will be hunters out there.

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
for general gun you need quota in BW from nov28-dec1 season is closed from dec1-dec21 quota again from dec21-dec29 (no quota from dec30-jan26) then quota again from jan27-feb12 these dates are out of the 2013-2014 BW pamplet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts