Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the advice from forum members. We took the yaks out near blacks island today. The yaks made it more work but I felt like it made us work harder. My wife said it’s like hunting for Easter eggs. It’s addicting looking for those little buggerss. Needlesss to say the scallops are still there. Once we got in to a rhythm we got our 3 person limit within a few hours. My 9 yo was hesistant to grab them but after a bit he figured it out. The scallops seem small but it doesn’t matter. We had tons of fun. We saw Jaster out there who was bringing them in many at a time. He was instrumenal in our success and his advice was spot on. I tried to get my son to let them bite him so he could grab 10 at a time. I did have to chase a Swimming scallop. They move pretty quick when chased. I wish I had a go pro video of it. We are plannnig on making this a yearly trip. We love the area and the peacefulness of the small town.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Good to see fellow PFF memebers/ friends 100 miles from home! We only kept 4.5 gallons today, had to head in to make tournament weigh in. Glad y'all got on em!. FYI, those buggers clamp hard, lol

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Your ruined now, Chaps, you'll go every year now. My kids were down there last week and limited out every day. Have you used the shop vac method of cleaning them?

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
I tried the vacuum, wasnt worth a poop, imo
That’s the first time I’ve heard somebody say that about using a wet vac.
Everyone that I know loves it, I am considering buying a 12 V so I can use it on the boat. We clean our scallops at Black’s Island. And leave all the shells in the water.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went for a quick trip this morning out of the yak launch on opposite side before we left for home. Once again scallops everywhere, we didn’t have to travel far from the launch. This year spoiled us and it sounds like this is the best it’s been in years. I’m hoping it stay good for years to come.

I still have lots of scallops to clean. I did try the vacuum method and seemed to work pretty good. I’m still figuring out the best way to do it. I have lots to practice with.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
We had 28 or so gallons between 15 of us yesterday. Wife, son and I cleaned for nearly 2 hours laat night before we left, lol. Just cleaned our limit, made the others do their own, would have helped em, but had to make that 3 hours drive. I am just amazed by the amount of life in that bay!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Scallops: When you're looking for them, you wish you found more.
When you're cleaning them, you wish you had found less.
When you're eating them, you wish you had found more.

Reactions: Boat-Dude and chaps

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have been talking about making a trip down there for scallop season for 15 years now and still haven't done it. I will make it down there eventually it looks like a blast and I love that area we fish down there every Thanksgiving for a week

·
Registered
114 Posts
Question

When does the legal season end? Is it too late for a first timer to try and get some. Thanks in advance :thumbup: Capt. John.

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
STEINHATCHEE CLOSED 09/10/2019

2019 Scallop season in Citrus County runs from July 1 through September 24. (Crystal River)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts