Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Drum (ever) in Navarre Surf

We are in town with the 3 kids for our annual trip to Navarre...kids are finally old enough I can leave two rods rigged for pompano while we play in the sand...since Saturday, we had only managed 2 small whiting.

As we are packing up, I debated reeling the rods in first, but decided to leave them for last while I washed sand toys...ended up being a good call...one of the rods bent over and I snatched it up...I figured it was a whiting or maybe even a pompano so I called the boys over to try to reel it in. It quickly took off and started pulling line and I had to take over.

When we got it in, we saw its fin and thought it was a red... we gathered the kids around for a picture...I knew there was a slot but since I only glanced at the regulations in the restroom this morning 馃槃 I was going from memory and I let it go...I was right on with my memory of the slot...I let it go as it measure ~32...turns out I was wrong on my identification...black drum it seems thinks to BillyFish

Great time..hoping for pompano tomorrow...excuse any faux pas or the fact I'm holding it like a guitar for some reason.

Corrected as misidentified...

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Billyfish...I'm not a salt water fisherman, if its not a black bass, I'm lost :) and we were going on the consensus of the folks on the beach...I didn't take a good look until you said something, but I reckon you're right...black drum.

Super Moderator
Yeah it looks like a big nasty, but it don't matter...ya'll had fun and caught a gooden!!! Bet the kids enjoyed it too!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts