Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four of us went out with Captain Jerry Andrews and Rusty Smith on the Entertainer Friday. Our goal was to load the freezer in case the oil floated in, and we did. Absolutely perfect day!We saw some Cobes swim by at our first stop, so I got myspinning rod close. Second stop, same deal. Quick cast, twojerks and he's on. After a shortrun he wrapped me on a"Mighty O" mooring buoy. The braid held, but I was getting nowhere with the wrap.

I would expect most deckhandsto cut the line and losses at this point, but not Rusty! My new hero dove into the middle of 3-4 circling cudas, swam about 20 ft. down to unwrap the line and was back on deck to gaff the fish at the boat.One of two miracles Rusty pulled off on our trip.Thanks Capt. Jerry! And Rusty, you are THE MAN!!!

Not a huge Cobe @ 30 lbs, but a great first fish story. This was also my first fish on a new Ugly Stick Tiger Jigging Rod. Penn Conquer 5000 was lined with 15# PP. The only plug I had was a 4" Gotcha 1500 I took in case we saw some makerel. I'm not a Cobia fisherman, but I understand that's pretty unusual, too. God is good!

We also caught a couple of AJs, several large Grouper including one Snowy, Scamp, Trigger and Mingo Snapper. Great day on the water.

The Calvary Team also did some damage in the surf over the weekend. The report's on the Surf Forum.

joe

·
Super Moderator
29,285 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong w/ that cobe!!! Great job and sounds like good times fer all!!! CONGRATS!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Another great post thanks for the details. Rusty for sure went below and beyond on his duties. You are right not many would have drove into the water out there. Great job Rusty on getting the cobia free from that bouy. Glad it all work out and everyone had a good trip and some new memories. Gene

1 - 3 of 3 Posts