Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debated all night if I should get up early and try to fight the wind. Alarm goes off and away we went. The wind was ok at 6am, but I new the bay was going to be nasty so we went in the bayou off 17th. Decided to throw out a live shrimp and let it sit while I threw a jig. Probably 10 mins later, my rod with the shrimp on it, bowed over and the tip hit the water and then the fight was on. This is a true testament for powerpro.

I use a 6 1/2 ft medium action pole, a penn infinity 2000, with 2diameter 10lb powerpro. If I was using regular mono, I would have gone home with 0 fish on the boat. BUT I had my faithful powerpro and look at the result! I am new to salt water fishing for most part, but I believe this is a black drum, is that correct? I had scales that hold 30lbs,but he is over 30lbs and so I dont know exactley how much he weighed. Took two of us grabbing each side of the net to get him on the boat, I know that much!

I caught one other 18inch speck, then the wind picked up and I packed up. After the 10+ min fight, I was stoked and could have cared less if I caught anything else.

Glad I got up for sure!

Fish on

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
man theres about 8- 10 of those that live around the bridge. If you get up early you can find them tailing all around. hope you released it. If you didnt, then cleaned it, you wont kill another.:doh

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let him go, wasnt sure what it was or if it was even worth keeping.

I like the reel, I have two of them. Its made forbraid, or has features in the spool for it. You can use mono also. There are 4 classes, both of mine are 2000. 8lb rate, but I use 10lb braid. My buddy wants me to buy a stradic the next time i get a reel, but after I reeled this big sob in, I can say I dont think I am going to switch. The 2000 is not a big reel at all, I was so suprised I actually got him to the boat. It bent the aluminum on by fish net, we had to grab a side each and liift it over the side of the boat. Fun stuff

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
My,thats a big'un. Nice fish man and welcome to the forum. May I be so bold as too suggest ya get a book like the Sportfish of the Gulf too help ya identify the species and food quality of the fish your catching. Also go too www.myfwc.com for a complete list of current regulation. Not tryin too bash or anything like that but hate too see people make mistakes. Again welcome and look forward too more reports:toast

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is a good sized fish, I saw plenty of them in that area this year but not quite as big. And as far as your choice to stick with your reel, if it aint broke don't fix it. I would like to get a couple different sizes in the stratic series because they have a smooth balanced feel. But cost is a factor for me, so I stick with the old tried and true penn reels.

·
Registered
254 Posts
just bought a Penninfinity and its the smoothest reel i own, the drag is AWESOME, super smooth. Shimanos will just fall apart after a while but penns will keep going no matter what you do to them. :looser

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The drag is very smooth, it was put to the test for sure with this fish. I was very impressed. Going to get another I believe next size up though this time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts