Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went up to Banks/Troy AL this weekend with dad and friends and had a great hunt I took my bow and gun but wanted to shoot my first deer with my bow and have a successful retrieve. I went back in October and shot a doe but never found blood, arrow, or deer unfortunately even though I made a good shot at 35 yards (saw impact). Then had the same group of does walk through the next day, minus one...:(

Well, got up in my Big Shot climber about 25 feet in a pine tree with my Maxxis 35 for the first morning hunt and had a decent 5 point walk out @ 7:40 and had about 10 seconds to stand up, draw and shoot. Was able to mouth grunt at the last second to get him to stop at 27 yards slightly angled towards me. Let the G5 T3 fly and made a great shot to get heart and lungs. THWACK! He bolted away from me and lost sight and sound of him after he ran about 50 yards towards a small creek. I sent a text to dad to let him know I shot one and waited an hour. Got down and dad and I walked to where I shot him, found hair and where he wheeled away and started looking for blood, walked the same path he ran and walked it to the small creek, still no blood. Started to have flash backs from last month with the doe...

So he got on one side of the creek and I got on the other. After looking for about an hour up and down the creek doing a grid search finally found blood on the ground where he fell down 100 yards away from where I shot him and took off again. After about 25 yards away he was piled up. :thumbsup: Very happy to find him after I know I made 2 great shots from last time and this time. The T3 does the deed but hasn't left any blood to follow, will be using slick tricks from now on since I raw shaft tuned my bow and know I will have a blood trail with those. I didn't find the arrow from the first day but did a reverse walk back to the shot on the next day and found it 30 yards from where I shot him. All-in-all a great trip shot a deer on Saturday morning and watched some great football in the afternoon, and ecstatic after the harvest. Not a record book deer but what's the old saying?... you always remember your firsts. :thumbup: Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
Nice buck and great story!

·
Super Moderator
29,540 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong w/ that!!! Great job on a 1st bow kill!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Congrats! You are hooked for life.
Oh I've been hooked for a while, just had college/jobs/girls taking up my time. I gotta say, bow hunting is immensely more satisfying than point-and-click gun hunting. However I do believe if I get out there in January I'll be taking the 270 to let it bark if I'm blessed enough to see a nice 10+ pt buck and I get the opportunity to do so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts