Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother in law is still in town and wanted to fish one more time before he left.

Too rough to hit the Gulf which is where I do my fishing so I decided to take him to the sound. Normally I would have gone to my spot on the Natl Seashore where Ive done good wading but since the road was closed we launched behind broxsons after picking up a few dozen shrimp.

We started catching fish at the mouth of Williams Creek. Many specks but all about fourteen inches. I did manage a fat twenty inch speck however. My BIL caught several short specks as well and we both had a few lady fish. He also caught a rat red. A few croaker and juvy jacks also made an appearance or two.

Once the sun came out from behind the clouds the bite died. I decided we should head to the bridge, and let me tell you, that bridge looks a lot closer to Williams Creek then it really is.

Halfway down I decided to catch some finger mullet and bull minnows to drift around the pilings for flounder and what do you know, it worked, sort of. I managed a sixteen inch flounder right off the bat. I suppose it was a fluke instead of a flounder because that was the only one I caught...get it? hehe

The tide stopped ripping not long after we started drifting so maybe that is why I didnt catch any more. However, for now on if its too rough to fish the Gulf that is where I will be because I LOVE flounder. It was also my first yak flounder so I will take what I can get.

Felt good catching some fish and not having any issues for once.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
man...finally!..I actually made myself comfortable on my desk to read another one of your ordeals,...but i was wrong...lol...you came out good on this one. good on the flounder...drag that bait 'really' slow...and you ll kill m if they are there. Nice!...:thumbsup:

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,177 Posts
I bought some Blue Scupper Stoppers that won't work for me if you need a pair.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My dock is the first one west of William's Creek, and I saw you guys this morning. We got lucky with the weather, and it sounds like you guys had a good day. Yep, the bridge is farther than it looks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Congrats JD, I spent seven hours on esacambia river in search of flounder and not a one! Did catch a decent size catfish that I gave to my neighbor, and a couple croakers on gulp shrimp, but that's it. Glad to hear about a "no incident" trip, lol! I shoulda came to navarre and hollered at u, instead of wasting my time on Escambia, but a decent day on the water is always great. Sorry for jacking the thread, thanks for the report.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts