Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you have in your first aid kit on your boat? I plan on offshore/blue water fishing this year. We will be traveling now that our waters are closing.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I keep the middle of the road first aid kit sold and my first responder self assembled kit in the truck for when I am back at the ramp, but one of the things that has proven itself when out on the water and a finger waas cut pretty good is liquid bandage, or super glue believe it or not. It may sound crazy but this post reminded me of having it and never looked back after trying it. After cleaning the cut and treating it, super gluing it kept from cutting the trip short and not getting contaminated. lol! Oh, yeah and tape is a must!

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't own a boat but if I did this is how I would supply the first aid kit for it. I would probably build/stock my own using a backpack up to a medic bag purchased from an emergency medical supplier. The amount of supplies would dictate this. Keep in mind the most important aspect of first aid, your a-b-c's. Airway, breathing and circulation. There is only so much a first aid provider can do with these so the equipment is simple. Cpr mask is about it. After that think about the types of injuries that may occur offshore. Cuts (fillet knives), Puncture wounds(such as hook or gaft impailment), Broken bones, Impact injuries and Burns. The quanity of these supplies will depend on how many on board and the duration of your trip. A field guide to first aid is also very helpful. Rolled Guaze and sterile 4x4 pads would probably fill a large percentage of my pack. A few otc meds for headache, inflamation and diarrea may also make the trip more comfortable.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Good idea. Super glue is amazing even for paper cuts. It doesn't hurt as bad. I have the basic boat first aid kit but I also keep aspirin in case someone gets a pain running through the right arm. If you have some one going that is on medication, have them put some in a plastic bag especially if overnighting. I keep some Bonine on board for friends. They tell me that they don't get sick but it happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts