Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many AR-15 type rifles out there under quite a few name brands and many various prices. My question concerns just one - the Colt M4 Carbine Magpul SL. This is the standard Colt M4/LE6920 with some MAGPUL furniture already attached.

Who owns this particular piece and how well do you like it???

·
Registered
496 Posts
I do not have one, but if you just want the magpul furniture you can get a cheaper option. DPMS comes to mind (I might have one of those with magpul furniture already on it, I’ll look).

You’d just be paying for the colt name.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'd be paying for Colt's name and their long-time quality. I've owned Colt products in the past - Colt Python .357 Mag that was stolen. So, I do like Colt but based on ownership and use...

·
Super Moderator
19,675 Posts
Well, I'd be paying for Colt's name and their long-time quality. I've owned Colt products in the past - Colt Python .357 Mag that was stolen. So, I do like Colt but based on ownership and use...
Colts quality is garbage to what it used to be. Saying that most production ARs are close to the same in quality now days.

·
Registered
496 Posts
No thanks. I was only inquiring about the Colt...
I hear ya, I bought it because I wanted the thermal scope that was mounted on it. But, it’s still milspec and performs like the rest of them, colt included.

I have a couple of colt ar’s. You want a premium product go buy a seekins or SLR billet set, put a cmc trigger in it and a decent match barrel to go with a jp silent captured buffer and jp bcg, then slap all the magpul furniture you want on it. Then you’ll have a rifle to be proud of.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colts quality is garbage to what it used to be. Saying that most production ARs are close to the same in quality now days.
You may be right. I know many gunners that speak very good about Colt and some that talk bad about Colt, but when you compare MilSpec to Milspec and NOT paying $2K+ then Colt sorta compares well. Yea, I can spend less but there are more "out of the box" failures with Bushmaster than other of the cheaper ARs - and before I get hollered at - I'm NOT knocking Bushmasters and I'm certain there are some good ones out there. Colt does provide good barrels and other good (and copied) MilSpec construction and the re-sale ranks high. And there are some unproven rifles out there - while I really like my XDs, but I wouldn't consider a Springfield Saint. But it's like most all other stuff, you feel comfortable with what you know and experience - most all my fishing tackle is Abu Garcia but I own, and have previously owned, firearms from a number of makers.

So, having said all that - does anyone out there own a Colt M4 and how do you like it???

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Chase has enough gun knowledge, I'd trust his input on that one. Johnb also has built many, shoot him a pm and get his opinion. Hope you get what your looking for

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,649 Posts
I've owned a few colts.... nothing fancy or flashy about them. You pay a premium to own the pony. That being said, I'd rather own a BCM for a few hundred more.

·
I'VE never caught a
1,557 Posts
I have the 6920 w/ the sl magpul, I picked it up for around $750 new. I have put around 2000 rounds through it and its been a great gun, Ive had no issues at all. Only thing i have done to it is put a larue trigger in it just because i got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've owned a few colts.... nothing fancy or flashy about them. You pay a premium to own the pony. That being said, I'd rather own a BCM for a few hundred more.

JohnB,

Many thx for the PM and the info/advice. I may have a bit more research t do. I'va already asked for a quote on the BCM...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You are not gaining anything with a colt than any other common AR, they are all basically the same thing. You will pay a couple hundred more for it and it is NOT like the colt handguns in quality. Many manufacturers do not make their own parts any longer. Unless you go top quality like LWRC and some other at a grand and higher there really is no difference but the colt will retain its value to a point a bit better for a basic $750 gun that a franken gun at $340.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have two Colt LE6920 M4 non Magpul furniture.....I have 11 AR rifles and really don't have anything good or bad to say about the colt.....I purchased them because I'm ex army and had a Colt Ar-16 and a Colt M4 while in service and they remind me of fun times :). The rifle isn't anything special compared to anything else in its price range and you can find cheaper/same/better quality with other brands for less money.

as Splitine said....The new Colt AR's definitely don't have the same quality as years ago and you do pay for a name , absolutely true.

Put the Magpul furniture on a DPMS, Bushmaster or whatever rifle that costs less and one wont really stand out over the other.

Buy one used on gunbroker for a good price and youre fine....for the money new I would tell you to build your own....

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have two Colt LE6920 M4 non Magpul furniture.....I have 11 AR rifles and really don't have anything good or bad to say about the colt.....I purchased them because I'm ex army and had a Colt Ar-16 and a Colt M4 while in service and they remind me of fun times :). The rifle isn't anything special compared to anything else in its price range and you can find cheaper/same/better quality with other brands for less money.

as Splitine said....The new Colt AR's definitely don't have the same quality as years ago and you do pay for a name , absolutely true.

Put the Magpul furniture on a DPMS, Bushmaster or whatever rifle that costs less and one wont really stand out over the other.

Buy one used on gunbroker for a good price and youre fine....for the money new I would tell you to build your own....

Lotsa info here. But if I understand you correctly, you seem to be attempting to lump many carbines together and I agree with some of that. You have entry level, mid level, and higher end ARs just as you would with many products. But I'm not real sure that by placing MagPul attachments on a Bushmaster makes it equal in quality to the M4 IMHO - but understand, please that I've owned neither which is where you have the drop on me. Some product advertisers even state "entry level AR ..." I also think that a chromed lined barrel will last longer than one NOT chromed and the more higher end AR barrels may even last longer. And the re-sale plays big with me since I'll be "ashes to ashes" before I would wear any of them out, e.g., I have 1 each Czechoslovakian made pre-B CZ75 & it's younger brother, CZ85 and have only pushed about 30 rds thru the 75 and the 85 has never been fired. Same with a couple of OLDER Desert Eagles. When I'm ready to sell some of my stuff, I want to get some of my $$$ back. BTW - I paid $349 for the CZ75 (before they could be imported into the U.S.) - they cost a bit more than that today and the later mods are completely different than my OLD ones. But I'll get my $$$ back.

WOW!!! Having said all this and considering advice from you and JohnB, maybe I need to do some more research.

JohnB: The BCM Mod 0 will cost a bit more than the M4 and it doesn't come with a rear sight - remember, nothing flashy - but the finish on the BCM is better. As a matter of fact, it looks very good and will not ding up so easily.

Sorry for the book I've written here. I truly do appreciate the info from all that responded to my original post but I may be more confused now than before...

·
Super Moderator
12,649 Posts
It's true the bcm does not come with a rear sight... that being said, the rear sight that comes on the colt is a magpul mbus that can be had for $35 most anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,649 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts