Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 28' cc rides really wet. With trim tabs all the way up I get no relief. Does anyone know if the fins that go on outbroads help? Running twin200 merc's.
Thanks for any responses, Ed.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,182 Posts
No with twins they wouldn't help. There must be another issue b/c you already have trim tabs.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Dont they make an additional bow flare system to help with wet boats? What make and model of boat is it?

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I had a Wellcraft with twin Yamahas. It came with the doelfins. Honestly i could not tell a difference with them or without them. No difference in boat attitude, rpms, trim level, nothing changed. Fuel rate did not change either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs. I don't have to move people off the bow, the spray does that for me. I may have to try the smartrail but I haven't heard of anyone using it or if it would stay put once attached to the hull. The boat is a 2003 seafox, didn't say that at first because I've heard the views on seafox before and just wanted some help not to get torn to pieces over my choice of boats.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Thanks for the inputs. I don't have to move people off the bow, the spray does that for me. I may have to try the smartrail but I haven't heard of anyone using it or if it would stay put once attached to the hull. The boat is a 2003 seafox, didn't say that at first because I've heard the views on seafox before and just wanted some help not to get torn to pieces over my choice of boats.
Your boat choice is your choice and I respect that. I mainly asked to get an idea of the hull. I would look into the spray rail. Are you sure you might not have water trapped forward? With tabs up and nobody on the bow you should not get wet unless your are running too fast for the conditions.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
With tabs up and nobody on the bow you should not get wet unless your are running too fast for the conditions.
Not to be a smarty pant's, but that is what I thought first thing.

Not pointing fingers, but I've seen plenty of "Operator error's" being done.

What you think is correct, others may see the problem right away... But alias...We can't see the boat being operated thu our monitor right now.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Don't think a fin will help you out. I had a 22' wellcraft deep V that was so wet, you needed to wear your bathing suit when you rode in it. we would go ahead & take shirts off, put phones, keys, billfolds, in the console storage. We put a fin on it to help it plane out, which it did. Still got soaked. I think the add-on sponsons are the only way to solve that problem.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Dont they make an additional bow flare system to help with wet boats? What make and model of boat is it?
They are called "Spray Rails". Totally different animal from a Doel Fin and much more work to install.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got the same problem with my Sea Sport 21. Could be the chine and bow angle of the hull design. Sometimes you get a wet boat, or it could be the conditions and "operator error". I get that sometimes too, but I know I have a wet boat, and learn how to adapt to the conditions.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
You guys are looking for the impossible. Any plaining boat under 40 feet is going to be wet when you have any kind of wind off the bow or sides area. And if it's over 40 feet it should be a displacement or slow hull and then sometimes they take water over them. I've had boats from 10 feet up to 40 feet and all the smaller ones are wet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Check out the Shamrock forum

Here is the link:

http://www.fishtheclassic.net/home.php

I had a Shamrock and they tend to be wet. Many of the people on forum modified their hulls with the spray rail minimizing, but not eliminating the spray issues. The solutions range from custom home made applications to store bought solutions. This is a great site to take a look at what and how they are used.

I did not install mine as I just dealt with it. No big deal for me. I just trimmed the bow up higher in chop and motored through.

Cheers,

Boatnbob

·
Registered
159 Posts
fins

Ive had outboard fins on different boats, and from what Ive learned first hand, is that they dramatically affect some boats, and others you cant tell anything changed.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
You have to run fast enough to out-run the spray! Our 18ft Sea Chaser is wet at half-speed, but dry at 3/4. If it's too rough to run 3/4 then all small boats are going to be wet boats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts