Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I bought a used boat about a month ago and it had some old registration numbers with white background and the finish of boat behind them is very shiny compared to the rest of the boat and I dont want that to stick out like a sore thumb when I put my new numbers that dont have a background on. I have polished the surrounding areas with some 3M Cleaner Restorer Wax by hand and it helped a tiny bit gonna go back over using a buffer next time but I was wondering if there is anything I can use to knock down the shine on the part where old decals were. Hard to see in pic but ill post it anyway.Thanks

Attachments

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,067 Posts
You really need to bring the finish of the boat back to the new finish showing behind the removed decal.

Are you saying you want to dull the finish to match the boat? That's backwards thinking..

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really need to bring the finish of the boat back to the new finish showing behind the removed decal.

Are you saying you want to dull the finish to match the boat? That's backwards thinking..
I Only wanted to dull it because I dont know if I can get the oxidized surface to come close enough to the brand new glossy shine of whats behind those decals. When I rubbed the cleaner wax by hand I was kess than impresses with what difference it made and Im on a super tight budget cant afford to buy another product. I did borrow an electric waxer from my dad and as soon as I can find where he has hidden the bonnets for it in his massive piles of stuff im gonna go over it again and see whqt results I get. Another thing is that because the decals were white with black letters the sun has left a print od them onto the boat thats also why I was asking if something could be used on just shiney part to remove that. Thanks everyone!

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
The only way to find out is to buff the boat and see how it turns out. If it was me I would use Aquabuff 2000 and buff it a time or two. When it comes to buffing a hull it does take some time, skill and technique to get it right. Patience is something good to have if you have never done it before.

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have the money to buy another product right now gotta use the 3M Cleaner Restorer Wax that I already have but I will keep those other products in mind. The hull below the rail isnt bad its above the rail thats oxidized, the finish seems to be totally different, I know very little about boat paint and gel coat and fiberglass finishes but appears that above the rail has always been a different finish than below it. This boat appears to be all original 1985. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts