Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best plans for finding live bait on late departure days? When the bait boat is gone and the sun is up let's say 8-9am? Hitting the bridge rubble and trying to entice those cigar minnows? Have a late departure Saturday if the weather stays clear out of Destin. any different approaches late in the day or just sabikis in different locations?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sabikis along side the Shalimar bridge have always produced pin fish, doesn't seem to matter what time of the morning. Not sure if that will work along any of the Destin bridge pilings. Other than that drive outside the pass and see if there's any bait around the buoys. Good luck, hopefully the weather holds out for you!

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,909 Posts
Majority of the time, you'll find the cigs on the east side of the pass from 8' on out to 40' ish. If the drift is right, you'll be heading towards deeper water.
Usually there from the jetty till about 1/4 mi down the beach. If you toss around the jetty beach area, lots-o hardtails to bugger up the sabikis.

Bring different color rigs too, they get picky later in the AM.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
I catch a lot of bait on a little spinning rod and fishbites. Even caught a trashcan lid size trigger fish and a couple red snapper with it.

·
Banned
161 Posts
We were at the bridge rubble yesterday and could sabiki up cigar minnows at 1pm fwiw. It was the first time trying to catch bait in deep water. I was worried that something would just pick off the bait on the way up to the surface but the cuda that was hanging around would follow them, but not steal the bait, so I guess that works.

edit: I will also add I typically don't leave the pass until 830 and I usually just fish frozen bait, but the handful of times I tried to catch live bait I just look for where the boats are and cast sabikis for a bit. Otherwise we will blind troll for kings/spanish/bonita till we mark a bait school or see bait getting attacked and we'll run up on it (if nobody else is trying to fish it) and throw sabikis at them. We aren't 100% successful at making bait this way and it's not the most efficient, but it keeps the wife less cranky on the boat so it's not a total loss! Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts